where to put my electric fuel pump

Old 06-03-2016, 12:45 PM
4th Gear Member
Default where to put my electric fuel pump

as some of you know I have my pump was installed on the shock tower I have mr gasket 105 gph an I should be runing at about 5 psi with regulator ,I need to relocate ,it seems ? is they are made top push the fuel not pull it ,on occasion I get air in the line when it sits ,wich couses stall on ocasion,its worked ok but I think its working to hard ,a friend also said ,there was no return line put in wich can be dangerous ,it came with Diogram I will post soon that shows how it should be set up .,I will post how it set up now in pic comes from tank up over to pump through regulator to filter then striaght to carb,any idead on the easy way to do this right ,plan is next week thanks an advance ok I ran into the engine installer at the pizza place he told me I only need a return line for a fuel injection set up ,an said we can install it in the back ,an I also have the inline pump for road master like 1978 said to run from 5 to 12psi an work on how you hit the gas ,it was very inexpenvive compared to the electric one 14.00 to $90.00 ,though there both electric so bye the diagram the engine installer would be wrong show carb an return line there ,the inline one would install just past my car filter under the car inURL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/600iq/media/DSCN0213_zpsos4qfux1.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-03-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:49 PM
4th Gear Member

I know the return line has to do with air flow I think ,an I do have breathable gas cap ,you guys work on American mades more then my installer does ,though I think he did a lot of things right ,a few thing hes off on ,coues the Diogram does shows a return line an carb ,an the regulater is one from my first pump the one that came with this would have needed a gauge , ,it says includes return style regulator wich was not used ,as you can see in pictures this is the return style regulator ,so I guess I am trying to look for the best way ,if the return is needed ,if not I would tend to just get a different regulator an put it in the back unless the inline one would work sorry so long why I split it up,i read some thread on net that says some go with one an others don't have a return line ,I would think if it down low in back mabey not,but I aslo see how they help keep the pressure ,being on the strut tower is just a bad spot I think ,was ok for temp use,i see how it works to on top would be the adjustment ,an a gauge could be put right next to it going in.3/8ths lines

Attached Thumbnails where to put my electric fuel pump-dscn0217.jpg  

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-03-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:56 PM
4th Gear Member

well after researching it a good part of the day atleast dropping it down in front ,if we can find a spot in front or back will be good ,it sounds like if one is having the issues I have a return line will be good ,the gas needed wont be as much ,an gas wont burn as hot are things I did read from other forums ,with the inline pump we could just try it ,I don't seem to be reading anything about any danger of not having one ,couse it seems some guys have them some don't ,,so I guess will just move it first see how it acts then go from there ,if it keeps doing it ,then run a return line we should be able to tap into the old one ,? I wonder if its in the back of the car not far from the tank if that would do it ,well one things for sure will figure it out,so I guess at this point thoughts ideas still open to the simplest way ,but start bye moveing the pump lower atleast an closer to the tank

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-03-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Pumps push better than they suck.
Tank location is good spot.
A return line is good preventing vapor lock, fuel at lower temp is always better, especially since ethanol is used.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:02 PM
4th Gear Member

thanks Everett ,I think that should help a lot to move it to the back ,an there should be an old line right there some where so will use that regulator in the last picture an attach a guage to it so I know the real psi too ,like it shows pump in back then to regulator to fuel filter to carb with the line out back to the tank

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-04-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:16 AM
4th Gear Member

???I got a new 115gph pump with gauge an regulator ,I know a lot of videos say under tank leval alot of those were old ones with the hoses comeing out the bottom of the tank ,? I am thinking couse mine comes out the top of the tank,i think he just capped off the return line ,then connected to the old one ? is the best place seem like the wheel well without haveing to make a bracket for it ,though will see I don't think he ran a new line .I dont see why the wheel well would not work ,its been working near 3000 miles 14 feet away on the shock tower ,what do you think about the wheel well either side seems fine

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-06-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:45 AM
4th Gear Member

I would place the pump on the same plane as the tank bottom.
This way at least it won't lose prime when off.
Use the return line to tank not back into supply.
Keeping fuel temp down is the key.
Returning back to tank has more fuel volume in mixing than a line.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:22 PM
4th Gear Member

ya my buddie said the same thing well I know there is a cover over the tank we may be able the attach it to other wise a bracket may be the other option thank you ,will work it ,I guess I am over thinking it ,should be pretty simple,when compared to the things I have done to this car already. one thing at a time will get it ,allways a work in progress the next few years I want to do front shocks some other things like build the rearend ,just replace some old parts under the car too that are getting worn from time some frame braces as well ,you know thanks again Everett

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-06-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:23 PM
4th Gear Member

got it moved to the back was not easy to tap the holes for the bracket ,but started right up an will make a few more adjustments Monday ,running a bit rich ,timeing is good ,nice to know the actual psi may turn that down to like 4 psi an see how it runs right now set at 5psi ,next will be exhaust then rearend build paint red under the car Name:  DSCN0314_zpsqrazd3ef.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  14.0 KB[/IMG]

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-18-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:07 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

glad you got this worked out, I was gonna tell you to mount it lower, maybe on the frame rail in the front, we've mounted them there before and they've always worked

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where to put my electric fuel pump