Want to replace EFI with CARBS on my 2000 Camaro SS LS1...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Default Want to replace EFI with CARBS on my 2000 Camaro SS LS1...

Hate the EFI on my 2000 Camaro SS. Sick of computers controlling my engine... Was wondering if this would make my car not pass emissions for lack of EGR and other provisions. I live in Texas...

Holley LS1 CARB Manifold

Old 08-27-2011, 06:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes it would. carbs are gas wasters and produce less power than a efi. learn how to control the computer. thats where its at. try a tune from solomon. LT1 PCM Tuning - OBDI/OBDII PCM Tuning/Programming Service

Old 08-27-2011, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear member

+1. Carbs are not the way to go. Let the computer do the work.

Also, you don't have a lot of room under the hood to install a carb, filter, and manifold. At least not without cutting up the hood.

If you have to have a carb, instead of chopping up an SS, I'll trade you straight across. I've wanted an SS for a while, they just never come up for sale around me.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by blackenedss
Hate the EFI on my 2000 Camaro SS. Sick of computers controlling my engine... Was wondering if this would make my car not pass emissions for lack of EGR and other provisions. I live in Texas...

Holley LS1 CARB Manifold
I wouldn't recommend converting from EFI to carb especially with that type of engine. If you wanna go carburated i suggest you either trade your car with someone who owns a carb camaro or you swap out your engine with an old school 350 thats carbed it will be much easier and you will need a high rise hood in order to fit the intake manifold and air filter for the carb

Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Don't forget modifying the dash to get to the distributor if you were to drop an old school Gen 1 small block in there.

Definitely not worth the effort plus it will destroy the resale value of a 4th gen (not to mention an SS at that).

Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear member

A fourth gen Camaro is not the car to have if you don't like EFI or electronically controlled parts on your car. Might as well get an older car with a carb.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackenedss

Holley LS1 CARB Manifold

please keep us informed of how that goes for you along with photos of the step by step process

Also, why not do a pull or 2 on a dyno before and after? Then, you can come back and tell others who want to do it how much you lost with respect to power and economy and how much it cost you to lose that performance and fuel efficiency.

302 normally aspirated cubic inches on premium gas making over 420HP from the factory and will run all day with the A/C on and give you high 20's mpg on the highway

what must you do to a normally aspirated, old school 350 cubic inches to get to 425 HP? And, how will it run and its' mannerisms?

old school....................pffftttt

Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by supafly147258
I wouldn't recommend converting from EFI to carb especially with that type of engine. If you wanna go carburated i suggest you either trade your car with someone who owns a carb camaro or you swap out your engine with an old school 350 thats carbed it will be much easier and you will need a high rise hood in order to fit the intake manifold and air filter for the carb
Dont even get me started on putting an old school 350 in a 4th gen.

As for the Carb issue lets think about this for a second here. Oh and not much more than a second because if you think this is a good idea your Or what Red calls his son on "That 70's Show"

Carbs were invented shortly after the civil war. They peaked in performance technology in the 1960's almsot 100 years later, they peaked in economy technology in the 1980's with the help of a computer. Carbs are all but obsolete on just about anything but small engines.

Mechanical fuel injection was invented in the 1920's for aircraft and was put into automotive use in the 1930's. It peaked for performance technology in the 1960's and economy technology in the 1980's. Today it is all but obsolete.

Electronic Fuel Injection was invented in the early 70's but did not become reliable until the early 80's. Performance and Economy technology is still in it's infancy and has not come any where near peaking. GDI technology is starting to make headway now which is further improving horsepower and economy in the same package. Keep your eyes pealed for what GDI technology is going to do for us.

With a Carb you can have performance or economy but not both.
With MFI you can have perfomance or economy but not both
With EFI you can have both in one nice neet little package.

If carbs were so great why was the last carburated new vehicle built in 95?

I find it funny today you can go and buy a V6 with the same or more horse power as a 60's muscle car, 4 bangers are outrunning 60's Corvettes, and I am not talking about souped up ricers but, your average every day econo box. Yes the Corvette is cool and sounds great but I would be embarrassed if my 65 Stingray was creamed by a Camry, and a 2008 Camry can cream a 65 Stingray. That is the legacy of Carbs my friends!

Massey

Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Massey
Yes the Corvette is cool and sounds great but I would be embarrassed if my 65 Stingray was creamed by a Camry, and a 2008 Camry can cream a 65 Stingray. That is the legacy of Carbs my friends!

Massey

Geese how fast are those Camry's? In 65 the Base engine was the 300 HP 327 and it ran 13.2 in the quater and it was the first year for the 425 HP 396 which ran 11 second flat in the 1/4. If those numbers can be "creamed" by a Camry I want a dam Camry now.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

As a Vette guy, thanks for bringing that up Gorn. The current Cramy by the way, is a 16.2 sec. car. The 07 was a 14.4 sec. car. It's the one that's gonna get creamed by the old pokey Vette.
Toyota 0-60 Times & Toyota Quarter Mile Times | Toyota Avalon, 2011 Camry, 2012 Corolla, Supra 0-60, TRD Celica, New Tundra and Toyota MR2 0 to 60 stats!

Quick Reply: Want to replace EFI with CARBS on my 2000 Camaro SS LS1...