Updates and records of my car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 02:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome! this is the best guy i have found. solomon.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Does he have previous dyno logs and data that he bases his mail-in-tunes on?

He also seems like he really only does LT1 as his 'primary' tune.

-edit-

Just a question here, as I can't afford this right now, but how much does a proper TRUE dual exhaust (no y-pipe) setup with headers usually run?

-edit-

Looks like speed engineering is the headers I would want. Pretty cheap for 1 3/4 LT's.

Also looks like a lot of guys have horrible clearance, but everyone is trying for 3" piping. I would want 2.5", I don't think it'll have as bad clearance. I would also want to run over the axle, to get it out of the back, instead of dumping in front of the axle.

I'm assuming price range for this, all said and done with a cheap shop, is going to be ~$1300, give $500 for variables.

Last edited by Thefoodman52; 06-18-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:15 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check out texas speed for longtubes and exhaust also, they seem to fit a tad bit better than the speed engineering stuff and are on par price wise

Old 06-19-2016, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

With texas speed's LT's and catted y-pipe, I've read a lot of people on forums say it sounds awful and raspy as hell. Poorly butted as well.

-edit-

I'm mainly going for sound, because stock this car sounds almost too-tame. A little performance gain isn't a bad thing either though, lol.

My truck has an older 2nd gen 4.7L engine in it (2005, one of the years before dodge notched the blocks from the factory, and added a small stroker kit for more power from them), and I love the sound I get of it. I just cut the factory y-pipe on the truck, and had a shop do straight pipes (with H section for scavenging) from the factory cats back out the rear behind the tires. Magnaflow mufflers, love that sound.

If I can get that kind of sound from the car, at least similarly, I'd be happy. Doesn't drone too bad, but I get a nice low rumbling when I drive around town, and that classic roaring v8 sound at WOT.

-edit-

I guess Hooker makes a pre-made setup (link there off of Texas-speed) you can just mail order, bent up for clearance and over-axle application already.

It says for use with their blackheart LT headers only though... 1 7/8". Wouldn't that be super-low for my car, sitting on BMR springs? I feel like those headers might scrape/bang. Also with that... those headers are EGR tube deleted. Is that going to cause issues with an code being thrown (have to get that tuned out of the computer)?

Also, ouch. That's a $1500 setup, before shipping and install!

-edit- (man, this post is getting long with all of this, might need to trim the fat soon!)
Excellent clip of what I would love for it to sound like. This guy has 3" pipes, which is just too big. I wouldn't be able to comfortably drive that around town, without worrying about banging it on things.

Last edited by Thefoodman52; 06-19-2016 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:00 PM
4th Gear Member

pacesetter long tubes is big with these cars ,an wont break the bank with your stock set up an a 18inch X 4inch magna flow tips had my lt1 sounding pretty loud ,though nothing beats true duals , I don't think you can do it with a 98 though ,depends on your state an emissions laws ,a true dual set up can be done for about $1000.00 if you do your own work ,an lets out so much more power 2 to 1 to 2 never made sence to me ,but if your staying stock theres other kits out there too if you got to have it realy just the big tips will make it louder ,or it did with mine

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-19-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'm not super-fond of the whole y-pipe sound honestly. Dual pipes, either H or X pipe connected, is how I always imagine any V8 truly sounds.

My truck previously had the old factory pipe that was all rusted out (2 to 1 to 2, like these), sounded terrible with the flowmaster muffler they tagged into it.

Literally had a shop cut my factory catted y-pipes off, right after the cats, and do stainless pipes w/ H pipe out the rear to behind the tires. Cost ~$600, but it sounds much better. MUCH better. Any I don't have any more leaks from the pipe looking like Swiss-cheese on the top from salt rust.

I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Oh well.

As far as not being able to do it, I know there's kits for 98's out there from Hooker (blackheart series), but they're very expensive, and I don't have any tools or experience that would let me do this on my own.
Neither myself, or my father, have any proper welding experience. Let alone any kind of welder or tools and safety gear.

You can do the '98s with true dual exhaust, you just have to finagle with the fuel return lines, and make sure your pipes are heat-wrapped very well near them.

I would have to have a muffler/speed shop do all of this work, which brings the cost up unfortunately to around $2000, as a ball-park guess.

I will run it stock for now, and pinch all of my pennies over time to get the scratch together for doing this.

After all, I haven't really been able to drive it at all as it is, I think that'll be enough for awhile, lol.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
4th Gear Member

stock with those tips I mentioned will make it louder too about 140.00 a set worth it life time warranty

Old 06-25-2016, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

eh, I'd rather have a 'proper' exhaust setup IMO. True through, or nothing at this point.

I'll have to see, because I like the way the Blackheart stuff looks, but being EGR and CAT deleted, it makes it really unattractive to me. I don't own tuning stuff to constantly keep up with it, so that would be a problem.

Is it difficult to have someone add in cats and EGR to a pre-made setup like that, or would I be best off just buying some LT's that have EGR pipes still, and have them just cut the blackheart stuff down to fit cats?

Old 06-25-2016, 10:18 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ceramic coated pacesetter headers work good. have you looked at maryland LT1 F-body (1993-1997) : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!

Old 06-25-2016, 10:20 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

good price on these.
Originally Posted by Thefoodman52
Does he have previous dyno logs and data that he bases his mail-in-tunes on?

He also seems like he really only does LT1 as his 'primary' tune.

-edit-

Just a question here, as I can't afford this right now, but how much does a proper TRUE dual exhaust (no y-pipe) setup with headers usually run?

-edit-

Looks like speed engineering is the headers I would want. Pretty cheap for 1 3/4 LT's.

Also looks like a lot of guys have horrible clearance, but everyone is trying for 3" piping. I would want 2.5", I don't think it'll have as bad clearance. I would also want to run over the axle, to get it out of the back, instead of dumping in front of the axle.

I'm assuming price range for this, all said and done with a cheap shop, is going to be ~$1300, give $500 for variables.

Quick Reply: Updates and records of my car.