Updates and records of my car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:41 PM
4th Gear Member

I don't know but if I was you I would just be ready to drive it then deside what you want to do ,I would only replace what you need an get it on the road ,like with mine I plan on a full resto over time next front shocks then new cans ,rearend but one thing at a time so #1 my cars not sitting an 2 money one thing . at one time for 20 year old parts ,but like you I got my eyes on a nice set of shocks there stagg entry leval. track street shock that .wont break the bank ,an like said anything is better then the ones on there just the strut an mount an use the old springs just paint them is my plan an paint everything red vht caliper paint works great ,had it on my brakes for 7 years now still good

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-25-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the exhaust will be one of the last things I do to the car for a long while when done.

I've got everything else done, I'm just trying to figure out how I can best get this done the way I want, without over-paying for parts that overkill for my use.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 PM
4th Gear Member

when you do the shocks mights well do the inner.tierods an upper ball joints ,lower to if you choose ,that's my plan in the next few weeks ,they have kits that are priced right I also plan to paint my springs an upper control arms too an top shock mounts . paint everything it will last longer an be like new too vht is good stuff.did my brakes 8 years ago there still good no rust

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-26-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Outers are fine on mine, think my inners are as well.

Like it's always said though, better sooner than later/never.

I'll probably do inners and upper/lower joints on the front while we're in there.
Didn't really give it much thought for the car, honestly. I have to do upper and lower ball joints on my truck though (pressed in place, they're a *!@#% on the RAM 2wd trucks, old and new).

Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 AM
4th Gear Member

ya they got like 8 peace kit like 65,00 kinda middle of the road products ,if my lower ones are good we may not do them ,but make them greaceable, the kit I got.comes with greace fitings well when one does the struts those parts have to be removed was the thought an why I am doing mine as they will be out to do the shock ? so your.driveing the car now got pictures

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-28-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Not driving yet, not even back in the states. By 'done', I'm meaning to imply I've got a full few days of work laid out in parts boxes in the garage for me when we get back.

Right now, I'm just getting a plan set forward to figure out the next things I want to do for the car. This all started as a 'refresh' for the car, but has quickly turned into 'upgrade'. Oh well. It does appear as though I'm dumping my RC hobby for this, for the most part. At least down-sizing it significantly. Can't afford both, and I actually get to sit and drive in a real car.

I think drugs are cheaper at this point, rather unfortunately. This is still more fun though, haha.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
4th Gear Member

yes inner tie rods an upper ball joints are just part of doing a front strut my buddie said mights well do them as there apart anyway ,all your doing will be worth it to me ,with my car its so clean I know its just.worth it ..yes I gave up everything to have the 2 4th gen cars for now ,an its well worth it .the 4 wheelers ect ,all gone now

Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I'll keep my truck over picking up another one of these, lol. One problem child is enough.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:26 PM
4th Gear Member

yes but you are having a learning experience with yours we both are or anyone doing a ton of work to a 4th gen .not all end up with what you got ,my 95 the engine swap was a choice I could have had head gasket done ,an ran for a lot more miles ,the car over the first 5 years water pump was only thing up till now brakes were done just before I bought it ,so now in 30,000 miles .+.nothing else had to be done ,the engine was only couse I liked burnouts for awhile ,with all the things your doing with a good running engine you should have a car that will be good for years ,an with. my situation the v6 was just to good of a deal ,its the one with AC an good on gas ,so its just a live an.learn thing hear an realy those parts are so cheap there just worth replaceing while right there .so my point is overall there good cars if taken care of,an the things I am doing are just a choice too ,though the shocks are needed,where you at you work out of the country you said what do you do ,is it food service of some sort ? sounds like your itching to get home

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-29-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm a sonar technician, active service Navy. We're forward deployed right now, have been for awhile (hooray for these new longer deployment periods, right?).

My EAOS is coming up soon, and I'm just getting this car and my truck all set up to go for while I'm in school. I intend on separating at my 6 year mark here, and then it's back to 'real life'. GI bill and some scholarships I still have from high school, should be enough to get me through most of my studies. I plan on majoring in EE.(electrical engineering)

The only real unfortunate thing is, my rating doesn't really apply to any civilian jobs. Sonar is sonar, and it's only really used in the military. If I were to follow this kind of career, it would be through government contracting, to be a shore-side technical representative that goes back and forth with all of the ships where I would be stationed, and help fix problems that the guys and gals on-board the ships can't figure out.
Not real appealing for me, honestly. Still have pretty long hours, and still work for some of the more... intellectually challenged... personnel, shall I say.
I'm taking my shot at real life in the civilian world, lol.

Quick Reply: Updates and records of my car.