Turn Signal Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Turn Signal Switch Replacement

Turn signals flaky? Hazard switch inoperable? Replacing the turn signal switch can restore these functions. This was done on a 94 Z28. I'm pretty sure it applies to all 4th gen Camaro's but double check to make sure.

Here is the switch you need: (Rock Auto Airtex/Wells, part# 1S3004)

Begin by disconnecting the battery (I disconnected both pos and neg).
and remove the airbag fuse (10 amp, picture shows fuse removed).

Remove the lower knee bolster panel under the steering wheel (2 phillips and 2 7mm socket head screws), also remove the bottom trim panel below that one. Mine was held in with plastic push in pins.

Locate and disconnect the airbag connector beside the steering column. (I'm not 100% sure this is necessary after pulling fuse, but did it anyway)

Remove the airbag, 4 T30 torx head screws (these are captive, they won't come out of the steering wheel, but the bag will) Lay the bag down trim side up. Here's what your looking at now:

Mark the relationship of steering wheel to shaft, remove the steering wheel bolt (21 mm) and use a puller to remove the wheel.

Steering wheel removed, clock spring in place:

Mark the relationship of the inner portion to outer portion and outer portion to steering shaft. It is very important it goes back in EXACTLY as it comes out. Remove the clock spring retaining snap ring and pull the clock spring out and let it hang by the connector. Remove the wave spring.

Use a lock plate compressor tool to compress the lock plate and remove the snap ring holding it on, mark the relationship of the lock plate to steering shaft so it goes back in the same way.

Remove the lock plate and turn signal cancelling cam.
Lock plate removed, cancelling cam in place:

Cancelling cam removed:

Grasp the turn signal lever and pull straight out to remove.

Remove the 3 phillips head screws holding the turn signal switch in place. Make sure you observe how the cancelling lever goes in. It must go in the same way or the signals won't cancel.

Remove the hazard flasher button (phillips head screw)

Remove the switch electrical connector from the side of the steering column underneath the dash. Fish the wiring and connector up through the steering column. It is easier if you remove the plastic wire channel installed there, I don't have a picture of this but when you get under there you will see it. It pulls straight out the front of the column towards the firewall. Gives a little more room to maneuver the wiring.

By far the most time consuming part was pulling the wires out and putting the new wires back through the steering column. It is a very tight fit. It helps to tilt the column all the way up. It takes awhile, but it does go through there.

Installation is reverse. Hope this helps some people.

Edit: Just realized this is in the wrong section. Maybe a mod or admin can move for me. Sorry, just saw "Technical Write-ups" and figured it belonged here even this is for engine related tech write ups.

Last edited by jkeaton; 11-06-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Thanks. Moved thread to 4th gen general section and added a link to it in the how-to thread.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I keep putting this off. However my turn singles etc work, the only thing that is giving me trouble is high beams and wipers. I can switch to high beam if i keep clicking it, but it will get stuck on high beam until i pull it 100 times to get it back on lows lol..

The wipers only work on high, so I'm guessing this is still directly tied to the switch?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne242
I keep putting this off. However my turn singles etc work, the only thing that is giving me trouble is high beams and wipers. I can switch to high beam if i keep clicking it, but it will get stuck on high beam until i pull it 100 times to get it back on lows lol..

The wipers only work on high, so I'm guessing this is still directly tied to the switch?
Try tilting the steering wheel up higher for your high beams. My high beams only click on and stay on if I have the wheel tilted up. If it is too low, either they only come on if I hold the stalk or the wont turn on at all. I was hoping to fix this with the turn signal switch replacement, but apparently the high beam switch is not part of the turn signal switch, only hazzards and turns. My hazards did not work and my turns only worked sometimes so the need for a new switch was there, it just did not fix the high beam problem like I thought it would have. Now that I discovereed the wheel needs to be tilted up a little higher to get the high beams to work normally, I just live with it. I dont want to tear into it again to replace the high beam switch. Not sure what to tell you about your wipers, mine worked fine before and after. Maybe someone else has insight into that issue.

Last edited by jkeaton; 11-13-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:07 PM

I have a question. I plan on doing this on my 96 very soon. Where the turn signal lever goes into the column is broken. Is this part of the switch assembly or a separate part I need? Little pieces of broken metal fell out when I removed the turn signal lever.

Thanks