tuning after mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Default tuning after mods

Hey guys need some help 1995 z28 6 speed Im just finishing up some maintenance and some mods bigger cam, headers, cat delete, ported intake, 58mm TB, bbk underdrive, egr and air pump delete, (possibly bigger injectors if recommended?) I probably need to get a tune at least for the cam right? well I called a dyno tuning place and the guy told me the 1995s are a pain because of the obd transition and I know that but he also told me that its a 50/50 shot every time the computer is flashed that it will brick (not useable i guess). Does anyone have any other information for me? I know there has to be guys out there with 95s with mods and have been tuned what exactly did you do? thanks in advance!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry I don't know the 95's or then that it is a transition year for sure but I would call around and find another tuner and see if he says anything like this. If so I would get a spare PCM and keep you original as a backup.

There are a couple of people on this sight who have personal experience with mail order tunes. I have no personal experience but I have read a couple of guys like their Madz28.com tunes. He can supply the PCM and the tune. http://www.madtuner.com/index.php?op...d=44&Itemid=26.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-13-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:27 AM
4th Gear Member

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

his name is Simon and he's who I've used

Old 10-14-2014, 08:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree with tig solomon is the best

Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 PM

Ok thanks Ill check it out! Ive heard of people getting software on their laptop with a cable to the car and tuning it themselves does anyone have any thoughts on that? is it hard? can it be done on a 95 OBD1 that has the OBD2 port?

Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
^^^ agree with tig solomon is the best
oh good grief

what was i thinking, yes, it's solomon

that's what i get for not paying attention

Old 10-14-2014, 10:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dorn4ever
Ok thanks Ill check it out! Ive heard of people getting software on their laptop with a cable to the car and tuning it themselves does anyone have any thoughts on that? is it hard? can it be done on a 95 OBD1 that has the OBD2 port?
yup

OBD Diagnostics

if it's something that you're going to be tweaking on a regular basis, then go for it.

With me, I chose the outsource option because I got the benefit of Solomon's experience
and have only changed the tune once since then and he gives you a deal on that

Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can get the cable and stuff on loan from solomon and after the initial tune he will help you with one or two free retunes.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:07 PM

It's do-able for tuning yourself. Like others said, if you want to invest the time to understand it has benefits of knowing yourself. Otherwise, one-time tune then it's more cost but less time to get someone professional.

You can check out The Tuning School learn-at-home guides are a very good step by step resource even for cam, heads upgrades. TheTuningSchool.com

Old 12-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by dorn4ever
I have the software that can see anything in the PCM but where is the free tuning? HP tune is like $500 for your first Vin. Then there is additional costs for any new vin numbers.

Learning to tune a car can take a LOT of time. Just learning what the engine wants and what is going to hurt it is a pretty big project. I would call it a hobby in itself.

Quick Reply: tuning after mods