stereo wiring help

Old 08-29-2013, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default stereo wiring help

last week i purchased a 94 z28. it as an after market pioneer head unit thats over 7 years old. i have a newer pioneer head unit from my 99 camaro that i want to install. when i took the one that came in the car out i relized whoever di it didnt do a good job. some of the wires change colors 2 or 3 times, about 4 are not hooked up, and they hard wired the stereo in. the one that i have from the previous camaro i had professionally installed. that one has an adapter to plug into the stock harness in the car. the new car does not have the plug since they hard wired it. i was just going to do it myself if i can figure what wires need to go where since some change colors. also the car only has the 2 door speakers hooked up and is wired for speakers in the trunk. i am fairly sure that all the speakers work beacuse i can here static in them. most likely because the wires are left open and probably touching things. i will try to get a picture of the mess up soon.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have the Crutchfield diagram left from my own install that included wire colors. I can scan it and send it to you if you think it would help...

Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

if you could that would be a lot of help.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

is the stereo that is in there now working and you just want to change it out?

The reason I ask is because both radios should have the same wire colors for the radio harness. Both radios should have the following:
White
White/Black

Gray
Gray/Black

Green
Green/Black

Purple
Purple/Black

Red
Yellow
Black
Blue (or Blue w/white)

If the radio is working and you are just looking to change it than just match these colors up radio for radio.

The extra wires I would not be super worried about because I am sure it maybe something like 2 orange wires, a light blue than maybe something like a pink or something.

The colors listed on a 12V diagram look up site show just the standard colors and not premium (upgraded) sound systems.
1993-94 Chevrolet Camaro Stereo Wiring
Constant 12V+ Orange
Switched 12V+ Yellow
Ground Black
Illumination Gray
Dimmer Brown
Antenna Trigger Pink
Antenna Right Rear
Front Speakers 6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+) Tan
Left Front (-) Gray
Right Front (+) Light Green
Right Front (-) Dark Green
Rear Speakers 6 1/2" Side Panels
Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Yellow
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue
Right Rear (-) Light Blue

Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

only the front two speakers are working. i dont know if its because they are not hooked up or what. but i want to change them because the one in the car does not have an aux imput and it is older. i also dont care for the layout of it.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

there is around 4 that come from the radio that are not connected and about 6 from the car that are not connected. i have the wiring information for the head unit i have so i should be able to get that one connected.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mp734
only the front two speakers are working. i dont know if its because they are not hooked up or what. but i want to change them because the one in the car does not have an aux imput and it is older. i also dont care for the layout of it.
Fair enough. Just wanted to make sure you were not making it more complicated than needed.

This is a diagram from Rob's (Shbox) site. Looks like he took a lot of time to pull pictures out of Mitchells On Demand and posted them on the net for everyone.
http://shbox.com/1/radio_schematic_1996.jpg
It looks like all the wire colors line up to what I posted before.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Im just going to take it to the local audio shop. A couple of the wires are missing. I also found out one of the rear speakers is not even there.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check your production codes to see what was in there stock. (number 9 here look in the u's https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...o-specs-71052/ ) most places want to know if it had a monsoon system.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

well i didnt look at the codes but in the rear there is a boss speaker. looks stock to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stereo wiring help