Torquing head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by ztwentyate
... im still having to use literally ALL my strength to even move them a small amount.
Going back and reading this again makes me think of another thing. You did remember to anchor down the meter so that it doesn't spin with the socket? They generally have an arm that sticks out that you put up against an adjacent bolt or other part on the engine, then you zero it in. Be sure to use a long breaker bar too, or your torque wrench in a locked position (if yours has that option).

Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Gorn: I should be pretty damn close. The 37 ft lbs in 3 steps was a cinch in proper order. Ive got all the bolts now in proper order to the 120 degree mark. One of them I accidentally did a little bit over because the tool slipped and due to my imbalanced stance and the force i needed to use.. i lost what position i was at on that angle. SOME of my problem was using this stupid breaker bar(non ratcheting) which when i would go to move it, it would have so much "play" that i would engage it on the bolt and by the time it "bit" to where i could start to torque it.. i had almost no room. this problem ceased when i switched back to the torque wrench which was easier to torque the bolts as well as easier to keep it steady and get the proper angle.

and camaro69: yes i watched a few videos on how to properly use a torque wrench, how to properly use a torque angle meter, and how to properly tighten head bolts since i dont have anyone i can really ask quickly about some of the questions i had. im just gonna leave the driver side ones the way they are.. they should be close enough that im not too terribly worried. i bought a digital torque attachment today so i will test that in conjunction with the torque wrench and see how it stacks up and ill let you guys know how off that torque wrench is.. if at all :P