Things to check before buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 05:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Things to check before buying

I'm going to look at a 02 Camaro on sunday. Is there anything I should look at other then the regular stuff. Each model of car have their own kind of problems,what are the 4gen's??

Old 08-05-2016, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Try to get Carfax report, it can give some insight as to region/state etc, like to spend a lot of time underneath: signs of leaks/rust, damage from going over the curb, drive it long enough to see if it over heats, check fluids, ask for maintenance records check for signs of quick repaint, is being flipped or is it a 1, 2, 3 owner car..... smellsof mildew, check all features, don't play radio so u can hear strange noises etc

Old 08-05-2016, 06:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I did a car fax and there isn't any problems. It has 4 owners,its been in FL,TX.FL again and now GA. Ill have to look under it to see if Florida sand had any affects.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if there is any question, look under the carpets. want to make sure it hasnt sunk,,, in a flood.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

wouldn't the carfax show a record of flood damage /repair to the vehicle? What are some signs of flood damage? Maybe rusted seat brackets,smell,rust on the bottom of the car? that's all I can think of. any other opinions would be helpful
I see in some of the guys pictures he has a convertible Camaro,vet,and something in the garage. He might be a flipper.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:41 AM
4th Gear Member

you want to check it couse mabey mabey not ,you want to check the engine for leaks under the car for rust ,some states have a 60 point check list or also have pre buy inspection ,if they don't want you to do any of that ,theres something wrong with it

Old 08-06-2016, 06:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep smell, rust where is shouldnt be, green growth on wire connections.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok guys thanks for the info.I'm going to check it out around three.I'lll let you know how it turned out.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I went to look at the Camaro today. It looked nice from the outside. The first thing I saw was the rear tires were looking out of place, well he had the wrong size rims/tires on it and they rubber the fender wells ALOT. He fired it up and it had a little ticking that didn't go away. I got inside and the driver seat was stuck in one position and some type of red fluid on the armrest, then I grabbed the steering wheel..... it wiggled and moved. So we ride down the road and I hear the rear-end whining as I get on n off the gas. (He said they all do that) RRRRRRR they shouldn't! It drove out pretty good,I couldn't really beat it like I wanted to but I got the feel for it.

Now fixing the steering collom might not be to much work, or even fixing the driver seat, but I'm not going to redo the rear end AND pay 9-10K so I walked away.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:55 AM
4th Gear Member

yup way to much ,fall has to bring better cars ,sounds like it was beat on + the price ,he will need a real first time buyer then some to get that + ticking noice

Quick Reply: Things to check before buying