Stereo help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Stereo help!

My project 93 is definitely a puzzle. Sorry for the pic quality. I just used my crappy phone instead of getting my camera. Here is what I know, most of the lower dash including the radio area was all taken a part when I got the car. The car is a 2000ish SS clone. The radio I found in a box is a Monsoon. It has a manufacture year of 2000.

Name:  s06orxph_zpsadwxosja.png
Views: 4739
Size:  730.5 KB

What looks like a factory wiring harness is still there and when I plug the Stereo in it sounds pretty good. Better then my 96 which still has the stock speakers. I pulled the cover of and it look like a white Sony 3-way round speaker.
Connectors
Name:  j8j0l8d0_zpsmofxp9fu.png
Views: 464
Size:  630.4 KB

Sony
Name:  muecr81d_zpsftvfvle2.png
Views: 134
Size:  689.2 KB

In addition to all the stock wires I have these?

Connector like a home stereo?
Name:  76yiy1f9_zpsva4ult6c.png
Views: 108
Size:  704.8 KB

2 sets of speaker wire?
Name:  1geh93yk_zpszm3nmtaq.png
Views: 125
Size:  866.7 KB

I have no idea what these are for?

I also have these in the back
Name:  h04anz5j_zpsbrt3ikbq.png
Views: 110
Size:  818.6 KB

I noticed the Stereo has a Aux next to CD, Is there a way to make this work with an Ipod or my Phone?

Last edited by Gorn; 05-12-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like it used to have a amp hooked up. probably to a sub woofer

Old 05-13-2015, 03:51 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is this what I need to add a MP3 player to my Monsoon system? Is there a cheaper one out there? I do not need Aux1 and Aux2.

Chevrolet Auxiliary Audio Input Add Aux MP3 Player iPod etc to Factory Radio | eBay

Edit, found this also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-Audio-Un...80317d&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Gorn; 05-13-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I noticed the Stereo has a Aux next to CD, Is there a way to make this work with an Ipod or my Phone?
I believe that button refers to the auxiliary remote device, like the remote cd changer that usually goes in the back.

Is this what I need to add a MP3 player to my Monsoon system? Is there a cheaper one out there? I do not need Aux1 and Aux2.

Chevrolet Auxiliary Audio Input Add Aux MP3 Player iPod etc to Factory Radio | eBay

Edit, found this also
Pac Audio Universal Dual Auxiliary Input iPod iPhone MP3 GMC Chevrolet aai GM12 | eBay
Those work by using the audio signal lines from the remote unit (9-pin connector). The remote unit has to be "playing" something for these inputs to work, otherwise the radio disconnects. The adapter simply taps into the audio lines and uses the input jacks for the audio instead of the lines from the remote unit. That's what the 3-way switch is for: "aux1 jacks, remote, aux2 jacks). Do you have the remote cd changer?

The only cheaper way to go involves some "surgery" to the head unit to tap into the internal CD player/tape lines. Even then, the internal CD or tape player must be "playing" something for these inputs to work. I did this for my 98 Monsoon head unit. It's a bit of work.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Thank Gary, I am not sure I want to go as far as cutting into the internal harness. If I understand you right, if I buy the above adapter I just need to be sure I have my phone/Ipod plugged in and running before I hit the AUX button.

I do not have a remote CD. The radio has the plug for it.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Thank Gary, I am not sure I want to go as far as cutting into the internal harness. If I understand you right, if I buy the above adapter I just need to be sure I have my phone/Ipod plugged in and running before I hit the AUX button.

I do not have a remote CD. The radio has the plug for it.

No that's not it. For either of those adapters to work, you have to have the remote cd player, and it has to be playing a cd. The adapter lets you switch sound from the cd that's playing to whatever you have plugged into the adapter's cables. That's do-able because the audio signals travel though the 9-wire cable between the head unit and the remote unit. The head unit communicates though a single wire in that cable. If the remote cd player stops for any reason it "tells" the head unit it has stopped and the head unit switches off the connection, and you can't hear the MP3 device.
With the internal mod, even then I have to be playing a cd in the head unit and I hear the MP3 player instead if it's plugged into the jack. When I unplug the MP3 player, then the cd that's playing can be heard. A switch could have been used there too, but i didn't think I would be switching back and forth much. I only did it this way because I want to keep the car completely original (or close to it).

These head units aren't easy to hack because all the switching between modes take place inside the chips on the circuit boards. This is why most folks just buy a new head unit with an AUX jack and/or USB socket already.

edit: I kept typing 12-pin when I mean to type 9-pin or 9-wire.

By the way, the first link is for a PXGM9 adapter, which is no longer made and is exactly the same as a currently-made AAI-GM9 adapter. Both are for radios with the 9-pin connector. The second link is for an AAI-GM12 which is for a later year radio with a 12-pin connector.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 05-14-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:48 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
No that's not it. For either of those adapters to work, you have to have the remote cd player, and it has to be playing a cd. The adapter lets you switch sound from the cd that's playing to whatever you have plugged into the adapter's cables. That's do-able because the audio signals travel though the 9-wire cable between the head unit and the remote unit. The head unit communicates though a single wire in that cable. If the remote cd player stops for any reason it "tells" the head unit it has stopped and the head unit switches off the connection, and you can't hear the MP3 device.
With the internal mod, even then I have to be playing a cd in the head unit and I hear the MP3 player instead if it's plugged into the jack. When I unplug the MP3 player, then the cd that's playing can be heard. A switch could have been used there too, but i didn't think I would be switching back and forth much. I only did it this way because I want to keep the car completely original (or close to it).

These head units aren't easy to hack because all the switching between modes take place inside the chips on the circuit boards. This is why most folks just buy a new head unit with an AUX jack and/or USB socket already.

edit: I kept typing 12-pin when I mean to type 9-pin or 9-wire.

By the way, the first link is for a PXGM9 adapter, which is no longer made and is exactly the same as a currently-made AAI-GM9 adapter. Both are for radios with the 9-pin connector. The second link is for an AAI-GM12 which is for a later year radio with a 12-pin connector.
The Monsoons heads without the Mp3 inputs are sell about $120 the ones with the Mp3 are around $170 on ebay. If I decided to sell it I wonder if it is even worth it to buy a Monsoon. The guy who built the car was trying to do the whole 2000 clone thing but it is still the 93 dash, it isn't fooling anyone. Maybe I should just go after market.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear member

I would probably go with one that at least has a USB socket. You can put all your MP3 music on the USB device and the head unit can display the titles, album name, performer, etc... to help you select it. The phone/iPod/Mp3 jacks just allow you to play the music, and you have to use the device to select it. And the USB device can be a tiny one that is barely visible.

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

Old 05-17-2015, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
looks like it used to have a amp hooked up. probably to a sub woofer
My son said that too, he's the stereo guy at my house.I went after market on my stereo to get the usb.

Last edited by IROC87; 05-17-2015 at 05:08 PM.