Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wire Choice

Old 10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wire Choice

I was wondering since I have to change my spark plugs as well as the wires what do you guys have and what are your recommendations for a V6 3.8L 1999 Camaro?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Overdrive Member

I went with the recommendation here for wires & plugs:
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part1.htm

Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I went with the recommendation here for wires & plugs:
http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part1.htm

Cool thanks, i was thinking about these can I get your opinion on them?

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-Iridium-Sp...tive&carId=001

Old 10-04-2010, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear member

What about these wires would the combination of those spark plugs along with those wire would be good?

http://www.amazon.com/MSD-Ignition-3...sim_dbs_auto_1

Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I run MSDs and NGKs. Runs great. I used expensive Bosch's before and they burnt right up. Although that could have been from the cracked head...

Old 10-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Overdrive Member

The factory used Iridium plugs that were made by NGK with the A/C Delco name on them as well. They are rated for 100K miles and when I pulled mine out at 131K they looked like they were about done but not overbaked. I could not afford $7 per plug so I got the next best thing which is double platinum. Good for 80-100K, and my brand preferance is Autolite.

Wires I didnt do anything special here I just picked up a set of BWD Select wires for my car and all has been good here. I have a stock engine and ignition system so I didnt need to spend the extra money on the performance wires. I recomend no matter what brand of wires you go with get a lifetime warranty, the quality on the wires seems to be signifigant to the 1 and 3 year wires.

Massey

Old 10-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Overdrive Member

OH and stay away from the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. They are great in little high revving engines but not in 6 or 8 cyl, low revving high torque engines. I get alot of unhappy customers who buy those plugs for domestic engines.

Massey

Old 10-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Massey
OH and stay away from the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. They are great in little high revving engines but not in 6 or 8 cyl, low revving high torque engines. I get alot of unhappy customers who buy those plugs for domestic engines.

Massey
Haha ^ my dad just put those in his '94 Suburban.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Did you read the article?

"They are different designs--the ACD plug is platinum-tipped, the Denso uses an iridium tip and is, also, a colder heat range, better suited to an engine which runs hard."

The missing piece is, that the ACDelco plugs are NGK-made, so apply that to the above statement and other details of the article.

"Dyno runs, quarter mile testing and aggressive street driving made colder spark plugs desirable, so we installed Denso IT-20 Iridium Power plugs which are sold by THR. The IT-20 is one heat range colder and its iridium tip is more durable but has less resistance than the stock platinum, AC Delco plugs that were in the engine when we started. The Densos' small, 0.4-mm center electrode and tapered ground electrode give the spark maximum exposure to the incoming, air-fuel charge. We should add that even General Motors must see merit in the Denso spark plug design because after about 2004, some Chevrolets have Densos from the factory."

Originally Posted by sebi1990
Cool thanks, i was thinking about these can I get your opinion on them?

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-Iridium-Sp...tive&carId=001

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-04-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Did you read the article?

"They are different designs--the ACD plug is platinum-tipped, the Denso uses an iridium tip and is, also, a colder heat range, better suited to an engine which runs hard."

The missing piece is, that the ACDelco plugs are NGK-made, so apply that to the above statement and other details of the article.

"Dyno runs, quarter mile testing and aggressive street driving made colder spark plugs desirable, so we installed Denso IT-20 Iridium Power plugs which are sold by THR. The IT-20 is one heat range colder and its iridium tip is more durable but has less resistance than the stock platinum, AC Delco plugs that were in the engine when we started. The Densos' small, 0.4-mm center electrode and tapered ground electrode give the spark maximum exposure to the incoming, air-fuel charge. We should add that even General Motors must see merit in the Denso spark plug design because after about 2004, some Chevrolets have Densos from the factory."
For some reason when I typed the IT 20s into the amazon search and then put my vehicle make and model it said that they don't match the vehicle. Could you buy any chance do me a favor and send me the link from which I can purchase those spark plugs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wire Choice