spark advance of the TPS. 1995 Z28 lt1.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default spark advance of the TPS. 1995 Z28 lt1.

You can advance the spark advance by opening the top TPS screw hole to the right just a little bit. This will bring in the spark advance in quicker then stock. By fooling the PCU in to thinking you are using more throttle and advancing the sparking timing earlier then normal and the fuel PCM map.
Put the TPS back on and turn it counter clockwise. Then tighten the screws down.
This mod is made for street use not 1/4 mile racing, idiots!
If you don't like this mod then go out and buy the 150 dollar chip.

Attached Thumbnails spark advance of the TPS. 1995 Z28 lt1.-tps1.jpg  

Last edited by VALHAR; 10-07-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

after a few runs the computer will adjust. idle may go up.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

The idle will go back down and you don't have to buy a 100 dollar chip! Also the computer will go into WOT at a lower rpm.

Last edited by VALHAR; 09-29-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Why on earth would someone buy a $100 chip that basically a 99 cent resistor. I have never seen any data from someone NOT trying to sell something that adjusting the throttle position signal gets you any performance. Show me a dyno or a 1/4 time strip. Most racers just laugh when you mention it.

Since when does WOT have anything to do with RPM? The car goes into WOT mode as soon as it sees the throttle at 85% (not sure of the exact number)

Last edited by Gorn; 09-29-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

If you advance it to far you will lose power in the upper rpm range. So you will need to
reduce the advance. And that because those racers don't know what there doing.
Besides, if you don't like just return the advance to normal.
I've done this on my 95 Z28 and Trans-Am. And third gens. not for the advance butt for the WOT full rich mixture to cut in at a lower rpm. But you should know this, right? The TPS is made of plastic and will ware and WOT will take place at a higher throtle position then when new but you know this, right?

Last edited by VALHAR; 10-02-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Droid

Modern computer controlled engine are designed to provide proper spark advance for drivability and performance. The PCM controls spark advance in response to the signal from the knock sensor. PCM advances spark until knock is detected and then retards it just enough to prevent knock. The process is repeated many times each second. Misadjusting the TPS is not going to do anything for power. The purpose of the TPS is to give advance warning to the PCM that more air is coming in so that the PCM can momentarily increase fuel delivery until the O2 sensors react, which takes as much time as it takes for the incoming air/fuel charge to get burned and pushed out into the exhaust, which is less than two turns of the crankshaft. Misadjusting the TPS also messes up electronic transmission control.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:15 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have been hearing for non-technical people for 30 years about the inline chips, resistors and TPS adjustments. Once you fully understand how EFI works you relies there is NO the TPS can have any effect on power. Like I said find one place that is not trying to sell you something that did legitimate testing that shows improvement. Most dyno places would not even try the testing because thinking it might work would make them look bad.

Racers are the best source on hardware and software limitations. The racing world is VERY competitive. If you research a subject enough you can find the limitation of just about every part of your car. A very large part of factory sports cars come from stuff figured out by racers.

Edit: it comes down to this, if there was a way to make your car even a little bit faster by messing with the TPS every performance manufacture (holley, elderblock, crane and I am sure summit) would sell a version that was adjustable with a Dyno results posted right under it. You would also have thousands of post confirming or disputing the dyno claims. Even if the gain was small it would be a huge seller, easy to install upgrade that works. They would fly off the shelf even at $100 a unit. So far the only people saying that messing with the TPS signal does anything are the same people that sell the "inline" turbo prop for your air intake and the 12 volt turbos. Selling "upgrades" that do nothing was a billion dollar buiness. I think the internet has helped reduce that since stuff is so easy to reseach.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-04-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I have been hearing for non-technical people for 30 years about the inline chips, resistors and TPS adjustments. Once you fully understand how EFI works you relies there is NO the TPS can have any effect on power. Like I said find one place that is not trying to sell you something that did legitimate testing that shows improvement. Most dyno places would not even try the testing because thinking it might work would make them look bad.

Racers are the best source on hardware and software limitations. The racing world is VERY competitive. If you research a subject enough you can find the limitation of just about every part of your car. A very large part of factory sports cars come from stuff figured out by racers.

Edit: it comes down to this, if there was a way to make your car even a little bit faster by messing with the TPS every performance manufacture (holley, elderblock, crane and I am sure summit) would sell a version that was adjustable with a Dyno results posted right under it. You would also have thousands of post confirming or disputing the dyno claims. Even if the gain was small it would be a huge seller, easy to install upgrade that works. They would fly off the shelf even at $100 a unit. So far the only people saying that messing with the TPS signal does anything are the same people that sell the "inline" turbo prop for your air intake and the 12 volt turbos. Selling "upgrades" that do nothing was a billion dollar buiness. I think the internet has helped reduce that since stuff is so easy to reseach.

Whatever man..... after putting on a type R decal on my car, I could immediately feel the power increase!!

Old 10-04-2014, 02:21 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You should Gut the cat, that is normally good for 100 hp at the wheels.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea and if you were a real racer. You would know you need to retard the timing 1 deg. per 1k rpm. For a turbo car.

Last edited by VALHAR; 10-06-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: spark advance of the TPS. 1995 Z28 lt1.