Some electrical gremlins after my engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Some electrical gremlins after my engine swap

Put a 2000 camaro ls1 engine trans ecu into 98 ls1 camaro. My dome(rearview mirror) lights take forever to turn off after i turn the car off. if its running they dont turn off at all. My speedometer/tachometer dont work at all. the odometer doesnt work UNTIL i plug my scanner into the diagnostic port.. then it works... LOL any ideas?

ALL the rest of the car functions work 100%. I have 3 different gauge clusters. The original 98 came with the car with a broken odometer, a 99 V8's which i understand now does not work, and another 98 which does work fine.. im guessing these issues have to do with something im doing wrong.

ideas? :P

oh forgot to add the codes im getting. Im getting EGR, EVAP, AC codes because those all have been removed. The ones that concern me are these:

P1635 - 5 Voltage Reference 1 Circuit
P1637 - Generator L Terminal Circuit
P1639 - 5 Voltage Reference 2 Circuit

Could these have anything to do with my issues? Or are they not related? I didnt find much info on them online.. so they must not be super common codes.

Last edited by ztwentyate; 11-27-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and when I hook up my scanner to the diagnostic port, all those functions are working correctly. Whenever I drive it up to this point, I have just plugged in the scanner to see engine speed and RPMs and whatnot. I figure I should add this tidbit of info.

I also should note that the car had ASR/TCS but the car I got the engine from didnt.. so I ordered the non-TCS cables and installed those and everything is working nicely.. except this gauge cluster.

Oh AND! My 98 has 3 connectors inside the car on the passenger side kick panel. However the 2000 LS1 harness that Im using only has 2 connectors. Could this play a role in things? I have that 3rd connector unplugged and I thought it would be ok.. but Im wondering now if it may play a role in this..

Old 11-28-2015, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear member

I think you are missing a ground connection. When you plug in a typical OBD2 scantool, the tool shorts pin 4 to pin 5 in the DLC, which are separate grounds in your car. It seems like one is not connected, probably the one going to pin 4 through connector C220 (behind right side kick panel, black/white wire).

Old 11-28-2015, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Ah GaryDoug GaryDoug! Your post encourages me that my problem might have a simple fix! I spent all day putting a body kit on the car but tomorrow i will dive into this issue and report back! thanks for the suggestion brother

edit oh and i should clarify that those functions work correctly on the gauge. even with the diagnostic port connected, the speedometer and rpms dont work. i meant i just read them off the scan tool.

btw thanks for the scan9495. i use it for my 93 and its a great tool. made the obd1 wire and all. so worth it

Last edited by ztwentyate; 11-28-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear member

C220 also carries the signal for the speedometer, but on different pins in 1998 than 2000.

Do the coolant temp and fuel gauges work? Those two, the tach, and the odometer are handled differently in 98 and 2000. In the 98, they are driven directly from the sensors or from separate lines from the pcm. In 2000 they are all controlled by a shared data communication line from the pcm.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 11-28-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Well it looks based on pinouts of the c220 and looking at my actual connector that you are right. Im not the most electronically inclined.. but is the solution to this to simply run a wire from that E slot to a ground such as the one right next to this bundle of wires? Thanks again!

Edit: im not going to do anything with it until i know the right way to do it since i fear blowing my car's electrical system out so if i am wrong dont worry lol

Attached Thumbnails Some electrical gremlins after my engine swap-20151129_115902.jpg   Some electrical gremlins after my engine swap-20151129_115855.jpg  

Last edited by ztwentyate; 11-29-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear member

First, yes, you can ground that pin. I am assuming the connector you have in your hand has nothing plugged into it.

But the 98 cluster will never work completely with the 2000 pcm. They are not compatible in regard to the tach, speedometer, and some other functions. I would focus on getting the 99 cluster working, as that one is almost identical to a 2000. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the lack of a low coolant lamp on the 2000 cluster.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
First, yes, you can ground that pin. I am assuming the connector you have in your hand has nothing plugged into it.

But the 98 cluster will never work completely with the 2000 pcm. They are not compatible in regard to the tach, speedometer, and some other functions. I would focus on getting the 99 cluster working, as that one is almost identical to a 2000. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the lack of a low coolant lamp on the 2000 cluster.
OK so I was playing with that 99 cluster and it has all sorts of weird things going on. First and strangest, the left turn signal causes the oil pressure gauge to flip right and left. The odometer doesn't function at all as do any of gauges. The right turn signal doesn't light up on the cluster but doesn't affect any of the pin gauges. The seat belt and high beams light is always on with the key in it or not. None of the 98 gauges do this and most of the functions appear to work just fine aside from speedo and tach on the 98 ones. This 99 one seems like there is MORE wrong. Any ideas?

Old 11-29-2015, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok so this problem is more extensive than a simple ground wire. I stumbled across a few threads detailing the differences between the 98 and 99 pcms.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...-pin-outs.html

I have C210 in my 98 which shows 5v ref signal, sensor return, and a few fuel gauge wires. I have nothing to plug this into at the moment so everything on that c210 connector is not functioning currently.

So the differences I see between 98 and 99 according to the pinouts.

C100 - Nothing, they are all the same.
C101 - Pin A Low Coolant
C230 - Pin A-5v fuel tank pressure, Pin C-EVAP canister vent valve control, Pin D- Tach Signal, Pin G-Fuel ground, Pin H-Fuel Tank Pressure, Pin J-Fuel Level Input
C220 - Pin A-Generator feed to instrument cluster, Pin B-Oil Pressure feed to cluster, Pin C-low oil level lamp, Pin D-TCC/Cruise Brake Switch, Pin E- Ground like we talked about, Pin F is not used, Pin G- Reverse lamp, Pin H- Switch signal, Pin J- Low Coolant Indicator, Pin K-VSS Output.

C105 there was some confusion in the guys list of things, any chance you might be able to make a bit more sense of it or is this something I can leave alone?

Now, I am a little confused as to how to move forward with this. Can I simply cut some of these wires before the actual male/female connector and solder them together? Literally just playing a game of matching the different ones based on the pinouts.

For example, my 98's C210 gray 5v reference feed wire i would connect to the C230 gray 5v reference feed on the 00 harness?

Am I understanding this correctly? Do you think there is anything I should be wary/careful of in doing this aside from the obvious unhook the battery stuff?

Last edited by ztwentyate; 11-29-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Yes, you proceed as you said. Cut the wires and re-attach them to match the 2000 pcm. You will probably have to add some wires, some will not be used. for example, the wire from 2000 pcm class 2 data line must now go to pin B6 of the 99 cluster, regardless of what may already be there.

I don't see how the fuel gauge and engine temp sensor could possibly work with a 98 cluster and a 2000 pcm. There are simply no outputs from the 2000 pcm to drive the 98 cluster gauges. The only way the 98 ECT gauge could work is if you installed the 98 ECT sensor to the engine and wired it directly to the cluster. The only way the oil pressure gauge could be working is if you changed the 98 wiring from C220 pin B (1998) to C220 pin A (2000). Unless you have an adapter harness that is specifically for adapting the later engine into a 98, you are going to have to change a lot of the wiring between the 2000 harness and the 99 cluster to make it work. But the 98 cluster will never work for the speedometer, tach, engine coolant temp, and fuel level gauges with a 2000 pcm.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 11-29-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Some electrical gremlins after my engine swap