Security System Issue

Old 05-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Default Security System Issue

I am new to this forum and recently had a customer give me a '94 Z28 in payment for some work on his street rod. It has a few issues that need to be addressed, but otherwise is a nice car (new paint and interior - new ARE wheels and tires). I have read all of the threads about VATS issues, but haven't seen one with this exact problem. The car starts and runs fine - no issues there, but any time a door is opened, the car is started, shut off, etc the security system blinks the parking lights for several minutes. When the car is first started the lights are also blinking. You can hear the clicking noise in the dash - which I am assuming is a relay for the security system turning the lights on and off. Eventually it stops and everything is fine. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem. Since other people have owned the car and I don't know what all has been done to it since new, I am not sure where to start. I did see a receipt in the glove box where the ECM was replaced several years ago. That was with a group of receipts detailing a problem where the car would sometimes just shut off. Evidently the Chevrolet dealer replaced the ECM along with some other items and the final receipt showed paperwork where the car was brought back for the same issue and the dealer found a plastic shopping bag sucked into the air intake that was choking off the airflow. I included this to let everyone know that, Yes - sometimes the solution is everything EXCEPT what you expect. The key is a #4 (.887 ohms resistance). I am not sure installing a jumper will make a difference with this problem since the car starts and runs fine, but I may try it anyway. Anyone have any ideas????

Old 05-25-2015, 12:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look around for a aftermarket theft system and remove it if there is one. sure sounds like you have one thats not working right. oh and i moved your post and started a new thread for you with it. welcome to the forum, enjoy.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the response. I will look for an aftermarket system on the car. There is a small round light - about 3/16" in diameter below the cigarette lighter on the center console that blinks along with the lights. After your response I looked it over and it seems like it might be an aftermarket item. Since the security light is located in the dash I don't see a reason that Chevrolet would also have this light as well. Can you confirm that this is an added light? I will pull the center console and start tracing wires to see where it goes. I do not see any added wires in any of the fuse boxes so it must be spliced in somewhere.
Thanks

Old 05-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I had a 94 and a 96, and neither one had a red pea light in the center console area. My thought too was aftermarket alarm. Look and see if there are any what look like extra added on wiring/looms at the positive battery terminal or at the junction block.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

mine had one of the pin lights too, mine did not light up though. found a mess of wires going to a box under the lower cover to the dash by the column. none was hooked to power, took em all out without issue.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Default Found the Aftermarket System

Finally had a chance to work on my car - always working on other people's cars. Located the control module of the aftermarket security system. It is a Viper 300 and looks like it is hooked up to the starter circuit and a lot of other things. Since I don't have any information on the system or the key fob to disable it, I don't know how to address the malfunction. I have emailed Viper and asked for their help with the system. Hopefully they'll be willing to help address the problems.
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of an aftermarket system. That saved me a lot of headaches.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a link to the installation manual. http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...iper/N429V.pdf