running out of day light help plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

C'mon man, whatever you're smoking, share it with the rest of us! lol
That "3 leaf clover" piece is unique to the drive portion of the new style opti. The old one doesn't have that, and there's no (right) way that hub piece would clear between the opti and timing chain cover even if it was cobbled together, which is why the newer style has a larger hole in the timing cover for that hub to fit into.
Be careful when installing the new opti, the spline shaft has a flat spot in one place that matches up to the splined hole on the opti. Turn and wiggle the thing on till it slides against the block, do not force it on or it could end up being in the wrong place and throwing the timing off.
Also, if you plan on keeping the car for a while, I recommend "venting" your unvented opti like this: Opti-Spark Options

Old 08-22-2014, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
That "3 leaf clover" piece is unique to the drive portion of the new style opti. The old one doesn't have that, and there's no (right) way that hub piece would clear between the opti and timing chain cover even if it was cobbled together, which is why the newer style has a larger hole in the timing cover for that hub to fit into.
Be careful when installing the new opti, the spline shaft has a flat spot in one place that matches up to the splined hole on the opti. Turn and wiggle the thing on till it slides against the block, do not force it on or it could end up being in the wrong place and throwing the timing off.
Also, if you plan on keeping the car for a while, I recommend "venting" your unvented opti like this: Opti-Spark Options
well it sure is something strong but okay thats all i needed to hear thanks. i guess the previous owner messed up real bad when installing one, ill install it and put the engine back together and report back if theres any problems thanks man.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
just to clearify even if the car had cam work done to it, that would not be there still?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im thinking something fell that has been laying on or behind the opit

Old 08-22-2014, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
im thinking something fell that has been laying on or behind the opit
is there somethiung that goes in the back of the opti? or does it go directly onto the timing cover case

Old 08-22-2014, 08:45 PM
4th Gear Member

Nothing goes between it. Don't use the mounting screws to force the opti on either. It will slide on fully when it is lined up correctly. You can spin the opti side shaft to help line it up.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear member

thank you man, **** jsut gets confusing after awhile.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 PM
4th Gear Member

That's why we have the forums, so everyone can help impute their knowledge and help those are doing things their first time. I don't mind changing the opti to be honest, just so time consuming and expensive. I know I had over $650 last time I changed it with the MSD opti, water pump, coolant, crank pulley bolts. The opti gets a bad rap, but honestly, the thing takes one hell of beating where it sits at.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
That's why we have the forums, so everyone can help impute their knowledge and help those are doing things their first time. I don't mind changing the opti to be honest, just so time consuming and expensive. I know I had over $650 last time I changed it with the MSD opti, water pump, coolant, crank pulley bolts. The opti gets a bad rap, but honestly, the thing takes one hell of beating where it sits at.
yeah i can tell my old one looked like **** lol, well i got the optispark in correctly tn it fits snug on there, so im happy about that. thread locked the bolts too. is there a step by step guide to reassembly the wires, routing the water pump tubes and all the other wires air pump etc?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:55 PM
4th Gear Member

Wires goes as followed (top down):

Passenger side of opti:

Driver side of opti:

Cylinders on engine are (front to back):

Passenger side:
2, 4, 6, 8

Drivers side:
1, 3, 5, 7

Picture if you need it:
http://shbox.com/1/opti.jpg

Water pump and heater hoses:
http://shbox.com/1/93-94_hoses.jpg
http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses_93-94.jpg

The rest of the wires will only fit where they're supposed to go. Good time to do the ICM cooling mod.
4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Quick Reply: running out of day light help plz