running out of day light help plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear member
Exclamation running out of day light help plz

i need a quick anwser to my problem im removing the optispark i got the water pump out and the belt off now i just need to remove the pulley off of the optispark i got a 3 jaw puller thats 9/16 and its too big i tried using the nut that was in there but its too short to do the job, any techniques to getting this off? 94 camoar lt1 motor please help!!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The crank pulley is barely a snug fit, but it gets rusted in place over the years. Once off and the crank hub and pulley are cleaned up, the pulley will literally fall back onto the hub.
Anyway, to get it off, first remove the 3 bolts that are holding the pulley to the crank hub. Then take a length of a 2x2 block of wood (or equivalent), and tap it off from the back side from under the car. Go back and forth, side to side, and you'll eventually get it to rock off.
Pay attention to the line up marks on both the hub and pulley when putting it back together.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The crank pulley is barely a snug fit, but it gets rusted in place over the years. Once off and the crank hub and pulley are cleaned up, the pulley will literally fall back onto the hub.
Anyway, to get it off, first remove the 3 bolts that are holding the pulley to the crank hub. Then take a length of a 2x2 block of wood (or equivalent), and tap it off from the back side from under the car. Go back and forth, side to side, and you'll eventually get it to rock off.
Pay attention to the line up marks on both the hub and pulley when putting it back together.

omg thank you got it out and the optispark out thank you very much.....l

Old 08-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're welcome. While things are apart, you should replace the water pump and opti seals that are in the timing cover. There's a trick to installing the water pump one the right way. Speak up if you don't know about it.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:32 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You're welcome. While things are apart, you should replace the water pump and opti seals that are in the timing cover. There's a trick to installing the water pump one the right way. Speak up if you don't know about it.
the seals have about 200 miles on them, i cleaned up the area where the seals are i am already picking updialectric grease, new gaskets for teh water pump gasket sealer and thread lock, question on the thread lock... should i thread lock every bolt or just the ones to the waterpump?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You don't need to use threadlock. I know craby likes to recommend using it on the rotor screws, but the water pump and opti mount bolts don't need it.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Don't forget to add a tad of anti-seize to the inside of the crank pulley. It'll make it easier if you ever have to knock it back off.

I always used thread sealant on the water pump bolts, blue loctite on the opti mount screws and red on the rotor button screws. And a dab of loctite on the crank pulley bolts. I lost two of them somewhere on the road last time I changed my opti.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Thread sealant (not loctite) on the water pump bolts is a good idea. Although, just the one lower bolt on the drivers side goes into a water jacket, but it won't hurt anything coating the other bolts. Red loctite on the small rotor screws is overkill, you probably won't get those back off if you ever have to, without snapping them.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM
2nd Gear member

so i ran into a little problem i lost this metal piece in the mist on things.. Name:  Opti_pic_zps67236b84.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  21.7 KB

needless to say im flipping ****..trying to find it

Old 08-21-2014, 03:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you have a 94 should look like this, make sure you get the spline gears lined up right. theres a blank spot thats got to line up. http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg

Quick Reply: running out of day light help plz