Replacing Speakers in 4th Gen Camaro *MONSOON*

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Replacing Speakers in 4th Gen Camaro *MONSOON*

ok basically I have a monsoon system in a 99 camaro. I just got it and heard some popping that leads me to believe a couple of the speakers are shot / blown.

I want to keep the factory monsoon head unit and eventually replace all of the speakers w/o "Butchering" the car etc.

So far I have read that INFINITY makes some good speakers that I can throw in and they sound decent.

I am looking for some useful information and am aware there is a bunch of stuff online about it , but it gets confusing.

One thing I would like is a list of speakers that are basically plug and play w/o having to do any kind of major modding. I realize that some of the speakers need to be kept at 2 ohm and others at 4 ohm.

I am on a limited budget and want the system to sound at least as good as factory and want to reduce the chances of blowing the speakers if it gets turned up too much.

Thanks

Old 07-13-2007, 09:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Replacing Speakers in 4th Gen Camaro *MONSOON*

Yeah, I'm looking for the same thing..except i dont care if its monsoon or not. My speakers are shot and I just bought the car (the previous owner basicly killed em). IExcept I probley have alot less cash than you..lol.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:31 PM

The ohms of the speakers won't really matter on a low end system unless you plan to hook two speakers up to the same terminals. EX: both fronts to terminal one, and both rear speakers to terminal two on a 2 channel amp. This is fine, but you should use all 4ohm speakers, and an amp that can ahndle 2ohms.

Here is a little tutorial

Using a 2 ohm a channel amp with 4 ohm speakers:
When pairing two speakers together you want them to be in parallel with each other. Why? Because two speakers in pair use this (1/1/r+1/r) <<reciprocal formula. In basic terms the total res going through that terminal will be 2ohms. Because in a parallel circuit has the same voltage per speaker, but splits the amps. Another reason to put your speakers in parallel is that if one's audio wire is broke, ect the other one will still work. Never use different ohm rated speakers. If you do the speakers will be unbalanced. ALWAYS make sure that your amp's ohm rating is lowwer or equal then what the total ohm rating through the terminals is.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:34 PM

For about 750 bucks you can have 4 new speakers, amp to power them, cap, and install kit that will push out around 1000watts total power.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i dont have that kind of $$$ i want to use the monsoon stereo and amp provided and replace the speakers all around with something a little more reliable....also i think i read somewhere that running 4ohm speakers where there is supposed to be 2ohm will kill the sound and eventually the speakers...

i am not looking for anything super fancy etc, just "as good as factory" sound w/o having to worry about blowing them up right away.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:23 PM

With stock amp yeah, but not if the 2 4ohm speakers were in par with each other. Because they would use the formula i gave you before. So the total ohms on the amp would just be 2ohms. I don't think it would hurt a stock amp either. Even with your stock amp you can still see a little gain in your sound system by using 4 ohm speakers in par. EI: front two speakers in par. Back two speakers in par. I'm sure the term is "bridging".

As for how long the amp will last I know on my amp is rated for 2ohm speakers. I use all 4 ohm speakers, and the amp is still working after two years of use. Your best bet is to buy the cheap sony speakers that are rated for 4ohms, and put them in par.

Do you have a multimeter? If so you can hook your speaker up in pars like i stated, and test them to make sure its 2 ohms.

or for you math guys out there

Old 07-14-2007, 03:26 PM

If you want the full understanding here is a nice website.
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 PM
April 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: us11csalyer

If you want the full understanding here is a nice website.
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
That's where I always link thew audio noobies too as well. Good site.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 AM
2nd Gear member

i think you can go to the dealership and order replacements that are better than original but will plug and play real easy

Old 07-16-2007, 09:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

any idea what a full set of "better than factory" dealership replacement speakers might cost ? I dont want to spend $400 on speakers if i can avoid it...and know i saw just the front speakers on ebay for like $100 for a pair

Quick Reply: Replacing Speakers in 4th Gen Camaro *MONSOON*