removing gas from the tank...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Default removing gas from the tank...

Hello,

I'm about to replace the engine in my 96 camaro (3.8). Blew a head gasket or crack the head/block. Don't know for sure but it has 210,000 miles on it. so time for a replacement.

First problem I wanted to tackle was the old gas thats in the tank. Its been out of commission close to four years. it used to crank and run but it has been stubborn in the past couple of years. last time it ran was last year. It will not run now. I assume the gas has gone bad. I can smell it when i open the gas cap. I tried feeding a .5"? dia. clear tubing from some fish tank stuff i had laying around. Of course it stops about 18" down. It says on the gauge that there's a full tank. I would drop the tank but from what I have read that's a chore ... not to mention a full tank to be handling.

What's the best way to remove the gas from the tank?

I'm not going to drill holes!!!, And I questioned jumping the relay on the fuel pump but someone mention that it might ruin the pump to run that long.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need a little stiffer siphon hose.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ya its not hard at all...just get the right hose

Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 PM
4th Gear Member

Will the fuel pump come on if it has a good battery? If so, just remove the fuel line down at the filter and put a hose on it. Turn the key on and the fuel pump should pump it out. Just don't let the pump run long at a time.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Default What size hose?

I'll try a better hose. how big an opening is there at the bottom of the fill tube? I figure its got a ball or something down there right? I'm ignorant to the safety features of a gas tank.

Second question, Should i completely drain the tank (A.k.a remove and empty) or , as I've heard others do empty as much as you can and just fill it with 93 octane and try to run it with that. What does old gas do to the fuel injectors and fuel filter and such. Any danger?

I'm switching the upper parts like valve covers, intake, fuel rails..... they spray painted the top of the motor Green...!? I'm not putting a green motor back in my car. lol. Seriously, I think they were trying to make a John Deere theme car. The guy I brought it from said under the hood was all different colors. What a mess.

I just wondering if the old gas does anything to the fuel system over the years. I don't want to swap anything that could give me problems later.

Thanks,

Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u will want to change the fuel filter after u pump some fuel out the fuel line. yes it would be a good idea to have the injectors cleaned and flow tested. yes u can emty the tank as much as u can and then fill with good gas. it should dilute it enough to be ok. make sure its got most of the gas out of it though. gage should be on e or close to it. some of these gas gages dont go to e, u run out at 1/8 tank.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 AM

I've had no luck siphoning it out. Theres something blocking the tube. Probably a screen or something design to keep people from stealing gas. lol lucky me. I'm going to have to pull the tank off. From what i've read, I should just have to drop the rear end and unbolt the exhaust right?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there is a test wire for the fuel pump under the hood on the passenger side by the ecu. u can jump it with a hot wire to make the pump come on. if u unhook the fuel line somewhere along the line. would probly be easier on the pump if u do it just before the fuel filter under the car. if u run the pump for say 5 minutes at a time to pump it out that should let the pump cool. im thinking the pump runs all the time the motor is running so pumping the tank out should not hurt a good pump. if its on its last legs it may fail.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by craby
there is a test wire for the fuel pump under the hood on the passenger side by the ecu. u can jump it with a hot wire to make the pump come on. if u unhook the fuel line somewhere along the line. would probly be easier on the pump if u do it just before the fuel filter under the car. if u run the pump for say 5 minutes at a time to pump it out that should let the pump cool. im thinking the pump runs all the time the motor is running so pumping the tank out should not hurt a good pump. if its on its last legs it may fail.
I'll try that first. The less I have to do the better.

Thanks,

Old 05-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

???? Why are you worried about the pump heating up by running it? It runs constantly when you're driving the car.
If you were to take a ten hour road trip, you wanna guess how long the pump is running for?
Hint: you don't need to remove your shoes and socks to do the math!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 05-06-2010 at 05:08 PM.