remove abs relay as a temp solution?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Default remove abs relay as a temp solution?

so my 96 camaro has the "low trac" light coming on intermittently because of a wheel speed sensor that is on its way out. i have tried cleaning it and dont have the funds to have it replaced. i was told the hub itself would have to be changed. when i brake the abs actuates and the light comes on(doesnt do it at every stop just seems to be finicky). is there anyway to disable it until i can get the funds to have it fixed properly? maybe pull the abs relay under the hood?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Just remember if you pull the relay, you'll no longer have ABS and will have to manually pump the brakes to prevent them from locking up.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM

so pulling that relay basically disables the abs system altogether? obviously i will get the abs light. i drive short distances in average conditions, not saying i will never need it but the stutter i get from the abs actuation is unnerving. i would rather have full control of the brakes until i can get the sensor replaced...a month or two at least

Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 PM
4th Gear Member

It should. ABS light is on in my car, not sure why, mostly cause I never cared to check, but my ABS doesn't kick in and I tested to make sure.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 AM

thanks for the help. i pulled the abs relay and have no issues with braking at all. stops just like any other car i have ever owned. i have a couple toggle switches laying around from other projects. is there any way to wire one in to control the abs?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM
4th Gear Member

If there is, I honestly have no idea how you'd do it.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The ABS pump is simply an electric motor. All you'd need to do is split a feed wire to the motor and put a switch inline.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is a very good chance the issue is being cause by play in the bearing (that is the most common issue). The bearing is not going to last much longer. Soon you will start to have play in your steering wheel. ABS only works in panic stops so the brakes “feeling normal” is right. The pumping (vibration you feel) is annoying but it is NOT hurting anything. Someone pulls out in front of you and you panic and push the brakes too hard the ABS will still work if the ABS system is hooked up. With the relay pulled you push the brake too hard and all four wheel lock up and you slide into whatever made you panic.

The loose bearing itself will become a safety issue itself soon. Disabling your ABS system because it is annoying is very irresponsible at best and could get you or someone else killed.

Yes, I know I sound like an old man, I have just seen too many cars people have died in. There are no second chances and no redo’s from a small mistake like this could come a life time of regret.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The only time I've ever had ABS activate on me, in any of my cars, was while on the snow or ice.
But then, I don't drive like an idiot, which is what these safety devices are designed around.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
There is a very good chance the issue is being cause by play in the bearing (that is the most common issue). The bearing is not going to last much longer. Soon you will start to have play in your steering wheel. ABS only works in panic stops so the brakes “feeling normal” is right. The pumping (vibration you feel) is annoying but it is NOT hurting anything. Someone pulls out in front of you and you panic and push the brakes too hard the ABS will still work if the ABS system is hooked up. With the relay pulled you push the brake too hard and all four wheel lock up and you slide into whatever made you panic.

The loose bearing itself will become a safety issue itself soon. Disabling your ABS system because it is annoying is very irresponsible at best and could get you or someone else killed.

Yes, I know I sound like an old man, I have just seen too many cars people have died in. There are no second chances and no redo’s from a small mistake like this could come a life time of regret.
how do you diagnose play in a wheel bearing?

Quick Reply: remove abs relay as a temp solution?