radar detectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Overdrive Member

Here in WA if they do not have a calibrated (has to be proven with the cal sheet) radar or laser you cant be fined for the speed. They can pull you over but have to let you go with a warning. If they ticket you then you go to court and ask for the readings, if the officer cannot provide the readings you go home free. Now if you are doing excessive speed (20+ over) and they didnt radar you, or could not, then you can get a wreckless and regardless of the speed that will hold up in court.

Yes the police here have to be able to estimate speed but a ticket for an estimation will not hold up.

I was in court for my only speeding ticket ever in WA and there was a guy there that got a wreckless driving for cutting off another driver that was trying to pull into a parking spot. The first guy was making a left into the space when the guy from the other direction zipped into the spot, almost hitting the first guy and the 2 parked cars. This was in a library parking lot so it was not private land so he got a ticket. It was a $500 wreckless endangerment with a motor vehicle. The Judge didn't budge one bit on that ticket.

Massey

Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

+1 with massey

makes me remember a day me and my friend was flying in the '92 bout 110 in a 35 zoned highway, went right up a unmarked cruisers tail and cut over to the next lane to pass him, guy went after us had to go to court. when he stopped us though he said he thought he was gunna die when he looked in the rear view - didnt show up for the court

another instance, before i had the camaro, i was racing a mustang with the taurus, we`re both goin about 60 in a 25 zone and the light turned red, both ran thru and a cop was sitting in the cross by the light, we kept going and the cop went after the mustang.

moral of the story?- you both can be going 40 mph but some cars from the way they look, agressive or what ever, is more of a target than others and ends up looking as if its going faster.

dont speed when goin up hills cuz u dont know whats on the other side
gun it on straights like valleys
look at truckers or other cars coming on the opposite side, sometimes they`ll flash highbeams when theres cops ahead
sometimes its better to put it in N or clutch cuz when they see u nose down, sometimes they still come after u

Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

haha, that is the truth auto. cops will always go after the sports cars, or who 'looks' guilty, ect ect.

why were you racing a mustang in your taurus? lol

why he didn't show up for court is because he probably would not have got paid for it. In certain townships in ny, sheriff dep vs lpd vs state cop, some would not get paid to go to court. some, got paid overtime. well you can guess which ones were willing to spend their evenings in court.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 AM

For under 200 dollars I would get the Whistler CR85 High Performance Laser-Radar Detector with Ka Max Mode

Best radar detector for the price.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Wow! dead thread back to life! I dont even remember that post!, but to answer your question, I figured what the heck, it was a two lane straight, no people or other cars in sight. I still remember the look on my buddies face when the lights started flashing. It felt like the other day.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Radar systems are joke. I don't know why anybody would buy one.
That's true, I used to use them back in the day and the cb radios in big rigs always made them go crazy. Eventually you learn how to pay attention and spot 5-0 even when they're hiding. I haven't had a single ticket since I stopped using radar/laser detectors. Plus if you get pulled over with a detector you ain't gettin outta that ticket.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:06 PM

I used to have a nice $200+ cobra detector that included laser detection. The thing is, as you are aware, lasers travel at the speed of light and it is a beam aimed directly at you, therefore, as soon as the detector tells you that it detects a laser, it is too late. All it is telling you is to look in the mirror for cherries because you just got busted!!

I never had more tickets than with that POS! (6 in a year, resulting my license being suspended twice! got rid of the detector and my suspensions cleared right up!)

Old 09-26-2014, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I used to run a radar detector back in the early 2000s. I used a cheap <$100 radio shack detector then up graded to a whistler that costed over 200. They get set off by any number of things, getting next to a semi was the worst. Eventually I learned how to watch the road and the traffic flow and I stopped using detectors all together. I haven't gotten caught once in the almost 10 years since.