push button start

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear member

I have a push button on my 78. Key unlocks everything, (ignition) sends power to the neutral switch, which sends power to the push button. I then push the button to power the starter solenoid.

Very simple. I hide the button in the ash tray, should confuse any car theaf.

I did it cause there is something wrong with the key switch. This worked and seems kinda cool.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I don't get it. You still have to use the ignition key to unlock the column and power the accessories. Why a separate push button to start it?

Well there are three reasons. One(The Obvious): Beacause it's cool, Two: Because when you got the car your key switch was messed up or wouldn't unlock your key without a seperate ignition shutoff switch(which was what was wrong with mine. I couldn't get the key back outta the ignition without a seperate shutoff switch so I just finished it), and Three: It is a type of Anti Theft setup! If you hide the switch you can't start it even if you have the key.

Mine was right there on the dash though. It wasn't hidden. But I'm thinkin about doing another setup and hiding the switch. I just haven't decided yet.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ One: Ok, cool...as long as somebody else sees it...and is impressed by it.
Two: If your key is messed up, you still have to bypass the VATS.
I don't get what you're saying "I couldn't get the key back outta the ignition without a seperate shutoff switch". Was your key always stuck in the ignition, so you needed to have a hidden starter button?
Three: I've done exactly the opposite before; hidden a switch that disables the starting mechanism. This way hides a switch that works the starting mechanism.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 AM
2nd Gear member

So your just backwards (Camaro69)
I spent hours trying to figure out why my purple ignition wire was hot when the ket was on and cold when the ignition was turned to start. There wasnt a single wire that was hot when the key was set to start. Several manuals told me the purple wire went to the starter.

Ya well, that purple wire would have made my starter turn whenever the key was on.
That simple wont work. I got feed up after a full day and put in the push button. Never gone back. It works great and will make the car hard to steal since my button is hidden. It also confused the tech at the track.

I have been told since that my key switch is bad and causing the purple wire to be hot at the wrong position. Was a GM tech that told me. But why mess with it if it isnt broken.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

so the purple wire is the wire that i need to put the switch on

and yes im doing this as an anti theft and to look cool im going to hide an arming switch and them have a starting switch

Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear member

check on your model, you are a lot newer then I am. You need to put the switch on the small wire coming off of the starter solenoid. In 78 it was purple.

All it takes to turn the car over is the get 12 volts to the starter solenoid, just remove the wire that is there now. then add a new wire coming from you fuse box, to your switch to the starter solenoid. Make certain you use a momentary contact switch. I got mine from advanced for like $4

Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

where is the starter solenoid on my 95

Old 06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear member

hmm, should still be on the top of the starter. Hopefull on of the 3-gen guys will speak up. I don't believe Chevy has ever moved the solenoid.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes, the solenoid is on the starter.
That also happens to be the wire that I would splice a switch into to break the connection and keep it from cranking over.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-11-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

And if you're really looking for the "cool" factor: http://www.automobile-security.com/products.htm

Quick Reply: push button start