Pros and Cons to removing a Cat

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:06 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Pros and Cons to removing a Cat

Okay so I've explained my exhaust problems a few times before. I finally found someone that will let me borrow a welder and I'm just gonna weld the two exhaust pipes together. Anyway, before I do this I was considering cutting out the cat and just welding in a pipe from the headers to the rest of my exhaust system. Are there any pro's and con's to doing this? I'm most worried about how loud its gonna make the car and if I'm gonna see any effect in gas mileage . Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

well without the cat you wont have to clean up furr lol jk there will be more flow so a bit more power so slight potential for fuel mileage it wont be much of a change in sound it wont pass emissions. ppl ditch the cat/cats to gain the little bit of power they r blocking.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Really the first thing to do is see if your county requires emissions. Mine does, but my bf's doesn't, so he's pretty much 'free' to do what he wants exhaust-wise. I'm not 100% sure on the details, but if it doesn't require emissions test, it at least has to be a 'visual test' (has to appear to have a cat I think). I could be completely off, but I know it's something close to that.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I remember from previous posts that luciora doesn't get emissions tested where he lives. That's ok, until you go to sell the car, possibly to someone who does live where it has to get tested. If they buy the car without knowing, they could legally force you to "make it right" because even though it doesn't get tested now, it's still illegal to remove the emissions equipment. If you remove anything, save it all, you may need it later.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

nope, iowa doesn't do emissions testing. i know, we have it rough up here in corn country. cut that damn cat out!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ugh, lucky. PA sucks. Well, at least York county sucks. I'm stuck with my cats.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

dont complain try living in NJ its almost as hard as CA

Old 05-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Just try it.....I dare you.

Name:  angry_cat.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  13.1 KB

Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Cats are no issue where I live - my last car didn't have a cat and it never had a problem passing annual inspection. I'm considering taking them out of the Camaro.

I've heard of people removing a cat, cutting the honeycomb out the inside and putting it back so it looks like you still have a cat but there's less restriction. I've also heard that after a number of years, cats lose their effect because they get covered in soot so it doesn't make any difference to smog whether they are there or not. I haven't tested these ideas myself so I'm not sure if they're correct.

I don't think taking out the cat would change the sound much - they aren't there to stop the noise.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM
2nd Gear member

i live in monroe county, pa. we dont have emissions. but just for visual and if i sell it, i put in high flows. sounds awesome and more powerful, but i have full exhaust so it better be more powerful. i was going to just cut em out, but if i sold the car, that might be a problem

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons to removing a Cat