Program remote

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 03:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Program remote

94 Z28, Remote has been lost for years. Purchased new GM remote transmitter.
Found programming directions on line for a 94 specific. Connect "A" slot and "G" slot in DLC and doors locks will lock and unlock (this worked) then hold button on remote until car responds with locks working. It did not program, does not work. I also tried removing the fuse for the radio, (it is not factory) still the first step works but will not program the remote. I had the Chevy dealer test the remote and it works correctly. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-21-2017, 06:08 PM
4th Gear Member

You might try this procedure, nothing to lose except time:

Important: All transmitters recognized by the body control module (BCM) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed inprogram mode, it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Remove the RADIO (#17) fuse.
  3. While pressing the drivers door unlock switch, cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times within 5 seconds. The BCM will confirm entry into the programming mode by performing the following actions:
    1. Locking both of the doors.
    2. Unlocking the drivers door.
    3. Releasing the rear compartment lid.
  4. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter for approximately 15 seconds. The BCM will confirm the programming of that transmitter by performing the following actions:
    1. Locking both of the doors.
    2. Unlocking the drivers door.
    3. Releasing the rear compartment lid.
  5. Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters.
  6. Replace the RADIO (#17) fuse.
  7. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Terry
Found programming directions on line for a 94 specific. Connect "A" slot and "G" slot in DLC and doors locks will lock and unlock (this worked) then hold button on remote until car responds with locks working. It did not program, does not work.
Here's a copy of the 94 Service Manual instructions for programming the transmitters. Not sure if you holding the button, compared to pressing the button and releasing makes a difference. Also, have you verified the transmitter is the correct style and are you sure the battery in the remote is good?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Programming Transmitters.pdf (122.3 KB, 71 views)
Old 01-21-2017, 07:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks, I will try again and "press" not hold. Thanks again for the input.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Everett, that procedure only works on a 96 or later with the BCM-equipped cars.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Thank you, Gary.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Terry, I had a similar problem programming a fob for a 1997 Cutlass a few years ago. I did some research and found I had the wrong fob for the car. Yours should be rectangular, not tear drop and have a part # 10239647. This number should be shown on the back of the case.