Power tweak suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Default Power tweak suggestions needed

Hi I have a 1999 Camaro and I'm looking to get more power out of it but I'm on a really tight budget so I'm not looking to spend a lot, just trying to get the most I can out of it,can anyone help me out? It's a 3.6L V6 (now you know y I need it to go faster xD)

Old 02-12-2015, 04:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

cold air intake, headers, better exhaust. after you do whatever you want have it tuned at a place like this. LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome! or this Home | PCM for Less

Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by craby
cold air intake, headers, better exhaust. after you do whatever you want have it tuned at a place like this. LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome! or this Home | PCM for Less

Thank you, that's exactly what we were thinking.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

is it a 3.4 or 3.8

i agree with crabby the 3.4 there really isnt much for performance parts and gains.

when i had my 3.4 i got the best answers ever get rid of the v6 and get a z28 or ss i got rid of mine and got a z28 now and im in love.....it has its problems like anything else but im glad i went with a z28

you could also do a cam roller rockers. but i would work on opening up flow in and out

Old 02-13-2015, 02:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by papixee
Hi I have a 1999 Camaro and I'm looking to get more power out of it but I'm on a really tight budget so I'm not looking to spend a lot, just trying to get the most I can out of it,can anyone help me out? It's a 3.6L V6 (now you know y I need it to go faster xD)
tight budget and power do not go together.

First, you need to set your expectations.

If you have an auto trans, then coupled with the 3.8L (that's the engine you have) which when new, was rated at 190HP at the flywheel, would probably deliver about 150RWHP today. That is my guesstimate. Maybe you might be at 160 RWHP.

To go get a CAI, painted headers, y pipe and good cat back system you're going to drop about $900. Add $250 more if you want coated/stainless headers. That of course is assuming that you'll do the install yourself

You need to decide the cost benefit to you. You might see 15 HP more to the wheels. Will that be enough for you?

You could have seen that gain by getting the manny tranny vs auto.

No matter what you do, it's still a sixer and you'll need to weigh out the expense with any benefit

In the end, it will go the speed limit whether you add bolt-ons or not. When you're cruising down the road, nobody knows if you have 500 or 150HP. If it were me, I'd save my money or put it into a dash cover (if yours is cracked) or some nice seat covers (if yours are torn) and make the ride more comfortable and attractive for me and my passengers

Old 02-16-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
tight budget and power do not go together.

First, you need to set your expectations.

If you have an auto trans, then coupled with the 3.8L (that's the engine you have) which when new, was rated at 190HP at the flywheel, would probably deliver about 150RWHP today. That is my guesstimate. Maybe you might be at 160 RWHP.

To go get a CAI, painted headers, y pipe and good cat back system you're going to drop about $900. Add $250 more if you want coated/stainless headers. That of course is assuming that you'll do the install yourself

You need to decide the cost benefit to you. You might see 15 HP more to the wheels. Will that be enough for you?

You could have seen that gain by getting the manny tranny vs auto.

No matter what you do, it's still a sixer and you'll need to weigh out the expense with any benefit

In the end, it will go the speed limit whether you add bolt-ons or not. When you're cruising down the road, nobody knows if you have 500 or 150HP. If it were me, I'd save my money or put it into a dash cover (if yours is cracked) or some nice seat covers (if yours are torn) and make the ride more comfortable and attractive for me and my passengers
Well, tight budget is around $1500 so I think I can fit a lot of that in. Any additional HP we can squeeze would be good. I would like to know what type of aftermarket cold air intake you would suggest to get to get that small amount of additional performance?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have a look here, musicman did it up. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...d-guide-32868/

Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member

'99 is 3.8L

Look here if you can get the lid still:
Whisper Motorsports, 98 & up Camaro & Firebird

Get an SLP CAI and then a functional Ultra-Z replica hood, and you will get a good ram-air effect. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 02-24-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Ultra Z hood photo add
Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear member

95-02 3800 fbody hp rating was 200hp crank 01-02 RS 205hp

my 96 all stock motor dynod at 172 rwhp

and you can cam that motor if you shop around for good deals on parts

but, exhaust, lid, headers, gears and suspension would be a good place to start.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

YeS I would do intake and headers if possible. I see all the room in your engine compartment. Why don't you call a local junkyard and see if they have a LT1driveline and a service to swap it. There is one here at Brandywine MD. featured on the Motortrend Channel as "Junkyard empire"....but that would cost you at least $1500 for the engine and trans. If you can install it yourself then great!!
How about a rebuilt turbo or supercharger for your current V6? The 3.8 liter V6 is a very good engine. The 3 4 started out as a 2.8 liter MFI then to the 3.1 liter, then the 3100, and then then the 3.4 liter. If I am mistaken please let me know.
Anyway....good luck, and just keep her happy. Do your regular maintenance....and enjoy what you have. Trust me. A lot of people would love to own your car!!!

PS: It's a project. Treat it like building a business!!

Quick Reply: Power tweak suggestions needed