please help. programming remote.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Default please help. programming remote.

first of all let me take the time to say im glad i found the forum. i have been a proud owner of 3 camaro's and a firebird.

currently im driving a 1997 camaro rs. the guy i bought it off of had no remotes that came with the car. i did a small google search and found the way to test and see if your car came equipped with keyless entry. well in fact mine did. when i bought the car he also gave me a brand new alarm system still sealed in the box that he never installed. so after looking at the remotes that come with the aftermarket alarm i noticed they were practically identical to normal stock gm remotes of 97. the only difference is the color, oem-black, aftermarket-grey. with all of this being said do i really need to go through the paces of installing a whole new system or can i simply use the new remotes? if i can use the remotes how do i program them? thanks for your time!

keith

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 04-11-2008, 03:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: please help. programming remote.

How did you test your car to see if it came equipped with the keyless entry?

Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Ninja Administrator

there is a goofy way the dealer programs ur car. it involves a series of key turns, button pushes, and voodoo dances or something.... but then the car picks up the remotes signal. if u have the dealer do it they will probably charge u a full hours labor cuz they suck

Old 04-11-2008, 03:47 PM

took the radio fuse out. switched the ket to on then off 3 times(without actually starting the car). if the car automatically locks the doors then it is equipped with keyless entry and is programming mode.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM

i thought i would be able to find a way to do the programming but so far nothing i can find on the web. also with the other remotes i dunno if it will work and dont want to screw anything up.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Overdrive Member

You could have just opened your glove box and check for RPO code AU0. Either way, programming the remotes is going to depend on whether the remotes can accept the stock frequencies. I would say try to at least program them, it can't hurt. I'm not exactly sure how to reprogram a keyfob, but your manual should have instructions.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:00 PM

Don't know if this will help you or not but I have progamming instructions for 93-94-95 although the 93-94 (DLC) Data Link Connector are different the 95 may be the same to your 97. The (DLC) is located on the drivers side under the steering wheel and has 16 terminals 8 on top and 8 on bottom if you take a jumper wire and with a 3 amp fuse ( I did mine with no fuse ) and count 4 terminals over from the top and stick the wire in there and then the last terminal which is 8 doors will lock and unlock indicating programming mode is active! To program the remote press any button on the remote once ONLY doors will lock and unlock to confirm remote is programmed! To program a second remote press any of its buttons once ONLY doors should lock and unlock again. Remove jumper wire to exit programming mode. Hope this helps!!1 also for the 93's and 94's same steps but you would put your jumper wire in terminal G and A

Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 95ZDropTop
Don't know if this will help you or not but I have progamming instructions for 93-94-95 although the 93-94 (DLC) Data Link Connector are different the 95 may be the same to your 97. The (DLC) is located on the drivers side under the steering wheel and has 16 terminals 8 on top and 8 on bottom if you take a jumper wire and with a 3 amp fuse ( I did mine with no fuse ) and count 4 terminals over from the top and stick the wire in there and then the last terminal which is 8 doors will lock and unlock indicating programming mode is active! To program the remote press any button on the remote once ONLY doors will lock and unlock to confirm remote is programmed! To program a second remote press any of its buttons once ONLY doors should lock and unlock again. Remove jumper wire to exit programming mode. Hope this helps!!1 also for the 93's and 94's same steps but you would put your jumper wire in terminal G and A
Worked on my '95. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM

I have a 94 Z and sometimes the key fob works with the right side door and rear hatch and sometimes not. Same with the hatch switch in the glove box.
Thanks for the reprogram tip. I'll give it a try this weekend and see if that fixes my problems. But I got a feeling I have a loose gound somewhere in the system because like I said sometimes yes and sometimes no. It always functions with the left side though.

fos