Oils

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Oils

ZDDP

Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM
4th Gear Member

I been to other forums that you can go on an on about oils an wich one to use ,with your standard car having a cap that says what to use I use something close if it says 5w30 then I use it,but I read threads wear guys argue whats better. stp has zddp wich is a zinc phosforus addative that older oils had in them ,they are trying to make the newer oil more eco friendly ,I am using vr1 right now couse my engine demands a lot of zinc during breakin ,to me its a matter of choise ,someone will come along with some reports that sometimes may be near right but but I think it goes like this ,just change it every 3000 to 5000 ,couse they been lieing to us for year about how long oil last depending on how you drive ,some sys are good to 12000 9000 ,an some will say still don't ever go over 3000,i been going 5000 for years with an engine that brock in,at 3000 I put stp that has allways been high in zinc ,I hear they are trying to do away with all oil that has zinc vr1 being one ,but for me I think it a matter of choise ,conditions too,just don't use that tech stuff hehehe,I blew a head gasket couse I like to play an the engine is near 20 years old or was thats my reason for stp I like to hit the gas now an then . if I drove like grand ma I could go 4000 miles on any oil ,not all engines need it ,flat tappit engines only,well I will reword it ,anyone who wants more zinc an phosphorus that gets into the parts of the engine for better lube during breakin ,some will say to keep using it I was told that after breakin, I can go to what every I want wich I may go to l edge 5w/30 full syn ,they say once going with full syn to stay with it,i have full syn Valvoline tranny fluid in my th350 an steerring box,an it acts like it loves it ,they say the addatives are not as good as joe gibbs brad penn royal purple makes one to ,the oils them self .but some guys swear bye using it full time ,zddp in stp after my breakin will be enough I already had some mixed stp with the joe gibbs breakin oil at 200 miles the breakin oil is like water an they say reason being is it realy get to every part of the engine ,an for me when draining it at 400 even with a pint of stp with zddp it was like water after sitting for 3 hours ,then there is something about cats not likeing breakin oil for to long an or addatives ,people write books on oil addatives viscosity ,an what is best ,an people will have as many opions as there are oils an addtives to put in them ,so opions vary an allways will ,to each there own ,I think some guys think they have to keep running the zinc or they may have engine failure ,or more wear an tear,an some will use regular standard oil even at breakin an swear by it ,when rebuilding or swaping ,or anytime ,so it a choice I think

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-06-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

In a properly maintained vehicle you can run mobil 1 extended performance oil and filter on a 10k oci unless you're just constantly stomping it. I've had excellent results from using m1 and I'd never dream of using anything else. That's just my .02.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J-Factor
In a properly maintained vehicle you can run mobil 1 extended performance oil and filter on a 10k oci unless you're just constantly stomping it. I've had excellent results from using m1 and I'd never dream of using anything else. That's just my .02.
i hear good things about mobile 1

Old 10-09-2014, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I've used Mobil 1 when it first came out and only changed the oil every 20,000 miles, with a 4 micron oil filter. In Alaska.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:34 PM
4th Gear Member

what weight was that . does seem to me that the oils they are developing today are not good for a lot of engines,atleast the kind I have ,I allways wondered why a friend of mine was buying an keeping the older oils like Kendal Pennzoil bye the case he explained but I was not listening .now I know why ,I don't think I hear anything bad about mobile one ,its just a choise ,other then with me seems a case of zddp is on the horizon ,an a bottle with each change no matter what oil I use

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-12-2014 at 01:40 PM.