Oil in antifreeze 3.8l

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 05:32 PM
Default Oil in antifreeze 3.8l

I have a 2002 Camaro w 80000 miles. Milky in antifreeze but no sign in oil. Good pressure runs good accept idle. Would this be head gasket or intake or. Could be both? Doesn't run hot at all.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:43 PM
4th Gear Member

I would get flush ,just in the radiator ,replace with dexcool cost a bit more but good stuff ,don think so . what do you meen by milky,probley just needs changed

Old 05-29-2016, 08:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you sure its oil. old antifreeze will gunk up and look nasty at the cap. also gunks up the reservoir.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=95 camaro 406;711400]I would get flush ,just in the radiator ,replace with dexcool cost a bit more but good stuff ,don think so . what do you meen by milky,probley just needs changed[/Q

Tan sludges in antifreeze.
I flushed once all seemed fine but maybe more in system?

Old 05-30-2016, 11:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you flushed it through the heater core you may notice reduced heat this winter. best to flush the engine, radiator and heater core separate so your not pushing stuff from one place to the other. it does sound like it was just old antifreeze so you should clean out the reservoir which would be the last place buildup would be.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by craby
if you flushed it through the heater core you may notice reduced heat this winter. best to flush the engine, radiator and heater core separate so your not pushing stuff from one place to the other. it does sound like it was just old antifreeze so you should clean out the reservoir which would be the last place buildup would be.

Ok thanks

Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You will never get it all out. I replaced my engine, removed the rad and back flushed it and got two handfuls of mud out of the system. I switched everything over to the green stuff. Two weeks later I had mud in my over flow, cleaned it again. Now its 5 year later and you can still look in the overflow and see a little floating here and there. Certainly not enough to hurt anything just enough to annoy me.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 PM
4th Gear Member

yes I notice the same with mine ,couse I did not do a new overflow ,or take it out an clean it out ,but got most of it new heater core though radiator too ,I have done like 4 anti freeze changes since the engine swap still a bit of black but not mud ,going to do it again soon ,but I may take out the over flow an clean it well ,or replace it for like 60.00 its funny how some cars can go like years an years on the same anti freeze an some not ,like my 05 sable still good after 11 years ,only 64000 miles though,i found to change it is beter then a flush ,couse with older radiators we are just bring up all the crud from the bottom Crabys right do everything separate ,couse with my lt1 I think I just made it worse ,I had my water pump go an heater core not long after ,so with the old ones I just change it

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-01-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Default Spark plug suggestions

Originally Posted by Dezcamaro
I have a 2002 Camaro w 80000 miles. Milky in antifreeze but no sign in oil. Good pressure runs good accept idle. Would this be head gasket or intake or. Could be both? Doesn't run hot at all.
Changed both upper and lower intake gaskets. As I drove first no hesitation but then it started hesitating again. I also found plastic elbows leaking. Should have replaced. I need to change spark plugs. Suggestions???

Old 06-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Elbow is a common failure point and a huge pain to replace. You are going to regret not changing it. In fact I think the manual says you need to pull the lower intake to replace it.

Just a FYI there is no place in the intake or head gasket that has pressurized oil in it. IF there was an failed gasket between the oil and antifreeze you would have anti freeze in you oil not oil in your antifreeze because the antifreeze is under pressure and the oil is just flowing back to the oil pan. If you really had oil in your coolant you have a cracked engine block. I have never seen a cracked 3800 unless it was a 400 hp racing motor, about 90% of all the 3800 look like they have oil in the coolant from the Dex cool.

Type of plugs are not as important as some people will tell you in the 3800. I used $1.29 base AC delco plug in my project 96. I drove it 100,000 miles, I got 30ish mpg on the first tank of gas and 30ish MPG on the last. New O2 sensors is a good place to spend money.

Quick Reply: Oil in antifreeze 3.8l