New to me 97 Camaro 3.8 30th anniversary.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 01-23-2016, 11:35 PM

Thank you, I finally found it on google. I looked everywhere and couldn't get a good answer. Doubt I'll ever use it but it's a nice feature to have.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:34 AM

Ok guys, I have all the vacuums lines hooked up and still a flashing engine light. I have a ground wire that's braided and runs along the battery wire coming from around the starter. Can anyone tell me where this connects to. Tried google but I can't find anything. Thank you guys.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If it is ground wire just ground it. Where you ground it not important even if you just use a jumper to the ground side of the battery for now. Like I said before the flashing light is a miss. You need to pull the codes and see what the PCM says. It should tell you what cylinder is missing. From there you can pull the plug, test/swap parts.

Miss could be
Bad plug
Bad wire
Bad coil
bad injector
no compression
plugged intake (I have seen it with bad EGR valves)
Blown head gasket bad enough it shorts the plug.
I am sure I am forgetting something.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-25-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 PM

I know this doesn't always give 100% certainty but I put new plugs and wires on it. I also saved the coils from the other engine so if that's the case I'm covered there. Also saved all the injectors from the other engine. Took the intake apart and put all new seals and gaskets in it. One other issue I am having and would love to get an opinion on is the engine is out of a 96 but the body is a 97. Everything looks exactly the same but for some reason the throttle cables are to short. When hooked up it holds the throttle about half way down. Is this a difference in the length between the 96 and 97?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:53 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am unaware of any change 96-97. You could grab the GM parts manual and look them up. There is PDF floating around. It is too large to email.

You know that the Miss error is not 100%? Well nothing in the diagnoses side is 100% but it is a place to start unless you have an automotive oscilloscope designed for a direct ignition system handy? All you are going to get here is what others had that caused their light to flash which may or may not be your issue. There could also be underlining codes like a MAF sensor code and a lean code which could cause the engine to have a lean miss fire caused by a bad MAF sensor or connector.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-26-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:23 AM

I completely understand that. Like I said in previous post, up until this Camaro I knew how to change a starter or alternator but that was about it. Lol. Google and YouTube has made a big difference in making this happen and I'm not looking for any miracles on here. I often wonder how I have gotten as far as I have and every day I question rather or not I'm going to start it up, take it down the road and the whole front end is going to fall out from underneath it lol. When it actually started I was one cloud 9. Couldn't believe I did that myself. I have a 5 year old that will be riding with me and that in it self scares the **** out of me. I know common sense things and it was a nightmare to get it all back together. I can't tell you how many things I had to redo again and again because I forgot something or couldn't figure out where something went until it was all back together. As far as you guys go I'm just looking for what ever information you might have to help or notify me about to try and make sure it's done right and to ensure there is not anything that most people would normally miss that could be simple now but cause any major issues down the road. I can't thank you enough for the knowledge you have offered this far. And, if I ever see a post and I know first hand what has to be done because I have been there then I'll always be glad to throw my two sense in on it.