Need ideas on inexpensive performance mods :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Need ideas on inexpensive performance mods :D

So I have a 1999 Rally Red V6 Camaro RS. It already has headers and a true dual y-pipe flowmasters exhaust so now I want to get performance mods. Keep in mind im only 18 so I don't want anything thats going to cost outrageous. Just wanting some things that will giddy up the acceleration and her performance. Please give me some ideas

PS. This is kind of hard to explain but if you look on your door panel at where the pw and pl buttons are and find the surrounding outline of those buttons, like the whole group of them, that area inside that line popped out of my door and it kinda just floats there with the wires being visible and it's getting very annoying because it's causing the wiring to become messed up and it's messing with the electric current to the passenger window because it will not roll up all the way at some times. Anyone know how I can fix this? Remember, the buttons aren't popped out, the whole thing containing them is.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Do you have the Flowmaster catback? If so, that isn't a true dual system, and you can't really have a true dual system with a Y pipe.

Next steps would be a CAI and replace the cat with a high flow one, or just remove it completely.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by vXIcetreyXv
PS. This is kind of hard to explain but if you look on your door panel at where the pw and pl buttons are and find the surrounding outline of those buttons, like the whole group of them, that area inside that line popped out of my door and it kinda just floats there with the wires being visible and it's getting very annoying because it's causing the wiring to become messed up and it's messing with the electric current to the passenger window because it will not roll up all the way at some times. Anyone know how I can fix this? Remember, the buttons aren't popped out, the whole thing containing them is.
I've had this same problem. If you pull the switch panel all of the way out you should find a metal clip inside the door. Re-attach the metal clip to the panel and snap the panel back into the door and you should be good to go.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im gona say the motor on the passenger side is starting to fail. the way most motors go is they will go then the electric motor get hot and stops, the motor cools and it will work again. on the switches i had to buy new clips, mine were bent or something and would not hold.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear member

True Dual Exhaust has two catalytic converters and they come straight off the headers not through a single cat.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

How much are you willing to spend. Alot to one person isnt alot to someone else. Id say go with a K&N coldair intake. I put on on my Z/28 and I can tell a difference.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luciora
I've had this same problem. If you pull the switch panel all of the way out you should find a metal clip inside the door. Re-attach the metal clip to the panel and snap the panel back into the door and you should be good to go.
Originally Posted by craby
im gona say the motor on the passenger side is starting to fail. the way most motors go is they will go then the electric motor get hot and stops, the motor cools and it will work again. on the switches i had to buy new clips, mine were bent or something and would not hold.
On mine, the small area on the switch panel that held the clips was cracked, so the clips wouldn't stay in place. I wound up drilling small holes to hold the clips on, and wiring the clips in place. I'll post a pic of this fix when I get a chance.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

agreed on the window motor failing...its really common on these cars ive replaced my pasenger one already...wasnt fun

Old 04-23-2010, 05:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Do you have the Flowmaster catback? If so, that isn't a true dual system, and you can't really have a true dual system with a Y pipe.

Next steps would be a CAI and replace the cat with a high flow one, or just remove it completely.
Why would I remove the cat? It wouldn't pass emissions test and would be way too loud. Believe me, I had a friend with an S10 who removed his cat and it sounded horrible. It sounded like metal against metal. Now open headers might sound good but still might be too loud.

Quick Reply: Need ideas on inexpensive performance mods :D