Synchronizer Problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Default Synchronizer Problems :(

My car wouldnt shift to gear but when i pump it,it does.So i changed the whole clutch spending a lot of money.And after that Its still doing the same thing,I tried leaking the Clutch oil and everything and it still the same,So i took it to the Shop and he said i need a whole new Synchronizer.Then i took it home. Now the real problem is there is no tension on the clutch,I can start the car when i press the clutch in neutral but i cant start it when i have it on any gear. Wat shud i do?I tried pumping it,still aint working!!Im tired of this crap,somebody pls help me out so that i can start it!!
Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What kind of a deal are you offering on a car I gong to have to pick up with a tow truck?

Sounds like a bad clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. Did you replace the slave cylinder while you had the clutch out? If the clutch kind of worked the other day and does not work now it is most likely a leak in one of your cylinders or your new clutch fell apart.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When you replaced the "whole clutch" did you also put in a new clutch master cylinder? It sure sounds to me like your master may be bleeding down and not holding pressure. The synchro's are what prevents the gears from "crunching" as you shift, starting out and between gears. But, from your description, it sounds like you have a dead-pedal hydraulic issue.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:25 PM

Yes i put it in a new master cylinder and the slave cylinder.It included the whole kit yes.
So wat is the dead pedal hydraulic issue??How do i fix it???

And gorn i will go with 3800 OBO.
Just tell me how much u can pay and we will work something out?sounds good enuf?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First off I was joking. I am currently working on a 96 I picked up with a tow truck. The kelly blue book for your car in excellent condition is only $3700. With a cracked windshield and transmission problem you are no where near excellent condition. Just my opinion.

Second you may have a problem with a Synchronizer (you have one for every forward gear) but a Synchronizer will not cause the not starting in gear issue you decribed. All a Synchronizer does is help you get a smooth shift. Once you are in a gear the Synchronizer can not effect anything on the car until you go to shift to another gear. Right now it sounds like the clutch is not working right. It is not disengaging.
One of the other effect of a clutch not disengaging is hard shifts and grinding between gears. As a general rule if a car grinds or is hard to shift in one gear its a transmission issue but if its in all the gears then its a clutch issue. The guy that told you you had a bad sync is the guy that put the clutch in? There is a chance he does not want to do the clutch over again for free.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 PM

okok thanks a lot man...aprreciate it

Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 PM

well the gear does grind in reverse gear tho and that is the only gear it grinds on

Old 02-20-2009, 05:02 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Reverse does not have a sync because it is assumed you would not be moving while you shift into gears. If your grinding going into reverse the only thing I can think of is that the clutch is not disengaging. I can not think of anything else that would cause this. If your clutch is not disengaging and your other gears are not grinding the sync's are doing their job.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM

okok thanks man could it be any kind of transmission problems though and i am talking to the dude tomorrow( I HAVE LIFE TIME WARRANTY ON THE CLUTCH AND 1 YEAR FREE LABOR)

Old 02-20-2009, 10:39 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The not starting when in gear can only be the clutch or its master/slave cylinder. I could weld everything in the transmission together and I should still be able to push the clutch in and start the car. The job of the clutch is to "disconect" the engine from the transmission. No matter what is wrong with the transmission you should be able to push the clutch and start the car in any gear.

Quick Reply: Synchronizer Problems :(