Need help locating gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Default Need help locating gas smell

Hey i'm a new user to this website. Although I've read many posts, this is my first.

I have a 1994 v6 3.4L Camaro with 143k Miles and when ever the car is running or was recently running there is an exhaust smell that almost smells a bit like raw gasoline. There are a few factors to narrow this smell down however.

My Emissions Test --- This Car/Accepted Limit
-----------------
Hydrocarbons(HC)Grams/Mile --- 2.94 --- 0.80
Carbon Monoxide(CO)Grams/Mile --- 83.97 --- 12.00
Oxides of Nitrogen(NOX)Grams/Mile --- 1.80 --- 2.00

THE VEHICLE HAS PASSED THE EQUIPMENT INSPECTION
THE VEHICLE HAS FAILED THE EMISSIONS TEST

There is a small amount of white smoke on start up that I'm pretty sure is oil leaking into the combustion chamber but I don't think this is what I'm smelling. What other reason could there be for my car to fail emissions like this and have this smell?

I've changed the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs/wires, oil, radiator flushed and recently seafoamed the brake booster intake. I haven't taken it back through emissions testing because i am afraid the smell is the cause of my failure. I was told oil burning will not fail my car.

Name:  wUu8ut4.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  21.7 KB
Name:  C70PZON.jpg
Size:  29.0 KB
Name:  kGkKOmo.jpg
Size:  22.1 KB

Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test the evap system, your coal in the canister may be soaked with gas. might be a good idea to have your injectors tested. may have a leaky one. white smoke most likely unburned gas.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by craby
test the evap system, your coal in the canister may be soaked with gas. might be a good idea to have your injectors tested. may have a leaky one. white smoke most likely unburned gas.
What's the easiest way to test your evap and injectors?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...-system-51219/

flow testing the injectors, you have to take them out and send them to a injector shop. cost is way less than new ones and you know they are flowing and flowing correctly. new injectors can vary and are rarely matched so you will get a smother running motor with flow matched set.
to test for leaks i took the racks off with the injectors and set them on top of where they were supposed to be and set square pieces of cardboard under the injectors. then turned the key on to see if anything came out when the fuel pump cycled up. did it a few times and did find a leaker, you need to turn the key off for long enough so the fuel pump will come back on. several seconds

Last edited by craby; 08-11-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:46 AM

https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...-system-51219/

flow testing the injectors, you have to take them out and send them to a injector shop. cost is way less than new ones and you know they are flowing and flowing correctly. new injectors can vary and are rarely matched so you will get a smother running motor with flow matched set.
to test for leaks i took the racks off with the injectors and set them on top of where they were supposed to be and set square pieces of cardboard under the injectors. then turned the key on to see if anything came out when the fuel pump cycled up. did it a few times and did find a leaker, you need to turn the key off for long enough so the fuel pump will come back on. several seconds
Thank you friend! I've managed to locate the charcoal filter and its a bit stinky! Any mechanic that has looked at the car has narrowed the smell down to that back area which leads me to believe you are right and the canister is the problem. Will i have to replace the canister or am I able to clean it for now until i can afford to replace it?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have to replace it. and dont overfill the gas tank. canister is usually overwelmed because owners top off the tank after it clicks. .

Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM

have to replace it. and dont overfill the gas tank. canister is usually overwelmed because owners top off the tank after it clicks. .
Easily could have been the previous owner.. they weren't kind to her. But thanks again for your help! I managed to find the part for $93 a little expensive but hey it's worth it.. Could this also be what's causing the car to run rich and fail emissions?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Also meant to ask you if the purge solenoid valve could be faulty and if there is a way to check that?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I can chime in a little bit here. I had the same issue. Replaced my canister but before I did that I was getting a code (don't remember which one but it was for the evap system.) I pulled off the hose that runs from the canister to the purge solenoid and it was FULL of charcoal! Solenoid was all clogged with charcoal too. Blew out that line, replaced the canister and the solenoid and it's been great ever since. Got my parts at Rock Auto.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tipsy
I can chime in a little bit here. I had the same issue. Replaced my canister but before I did that I was getting a code (don't remember which one but it was for the evap system.) I pulled off the hose that runs from the canister to the purge solenoid and it was FULL of charcoal! Solenoid was all clogged with charcoal too. Blew out that line, replaced the canister and the solenoid and it's been great ever since. Got my parts at Rock Auto.
I just removed the purge solenoid and it seemed to be in good working order and no leaks but i'll be sure the check the charcoal filter extra well.

Quick Reply: Need help locating gas smell