The mystery of the missing MAF

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Question The mystery of the missing MAF

Well I need some help here because as it would turn out the 1994 V6 3.4L Chevy Camaro I am driving doesn't require a MAF and in fact doesn't have one by default however I have found what seems to be a MAF connection. The previous owner installed this intake system with some cheap PVC and a k&n filter but why the connection? Was this supposed to be swapped out for the V8?

Name:  lospMIb.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  492.5 KB

Old 08-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Droid

The 1994 3.4 engine is not equipped with a MAF because it uses a speed density system. The PCM in this engine uses inputs from the IAT, MAP, and ECT sensors to measure and compute the amount of air going into the engine. The extra connector you mentioned is there because it is cheaper for car makers to use a common harness an just leave unused wires dangling.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 PM
4th Gear Member

looks clean I will have alot of extra wires ,with engine swap from the lt1 to carberated 406 I guess it say you must post a few time before I can start a thread about the swap

Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
The 1994 3.4 engine is not equipped with a MAF because it uses a speed density system. The PCM in this engine uses inputs from the IAT, MAP, and ECT sensors to measure and compute the amount of air going into the engine. The extra connector you mentioned is there because it is cheaper for car makers to use a common harness an just leave unused wires dangling.
oh well thanks a bunch

Old 08-13-2014, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear member

That's not a MAF connector. It's the connector for the Secondary Injection system pump (A.I.R.). The pump and system has probably been removed. It should be below the brake modulator seen in your photo below your hand.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
That's not a MAF connector. It's the connector for the Secondary Injection system pump (A.I.R.). The pump and system has probably been removed. It should be below the brake modulator seen in your photo below your hand.
Well ****! What parts are removed from the system? Can you tell? Is it something I need?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 PM

Also any idea why it would be removed?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:48 PM

I did some searching around at my local auto parts store, napa, and ACdelco and no one sells the pump for this vehicle.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear member

If you don't live in an area that has emissions testing, you don't need to worry about it. It will not affect the engine performance. It only operates for about 4 minutes after a cold start anyway. The previous owner probably removed it and maybe some of the rest of the pipes and hoses.

A local Chevy dealer can probably order the parts if you really want them: A.I.R. PUMP & RELATED PARTS. Fits: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 AM

If you don't live in an area that has emissions testing, you don't need to worry about it. It will not affect the engine performance. It only operates for about 4 minutes after a cold start anyway. The previous owner probably removed it and maybe some of the rest of the pipes and hoses.

A local Chevy dealer can probably order the parts if you really want them: A.I.R. PUMP & RELATED PARTS. Fits: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick
unfortunately I do live in an area with emissions testing and this car has failed it with very very high CO and more than average HC

Quick Reply: The mystery of the missing MAF