making smog legal for calif

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Default making smog legal for calif

me and my dad are going for my first car and i am also looking into going into racing(professionally). But i would try to make this car smog legal.first of all, it will need Cats, how much are those? and i am talking to my camaro mechanic of what else it may need. Also does this car require the use of the OBD port when i get it tested for smog? I am new to the camaro so any info would be great!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: making smog legal for calif

Welcome to the forum. There is alot going on so stay with me. Cats cost different depending on where you get them, however, what are you starting out with? You need an OBD port on later models (96 and up i think) to pass. We cant really tell you what you need unless we know what you already have. I am thinking you might need a new intake, or at least one with the egr boss.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

it is a 1995 z28 camaro LT1.Here are the mods: It has a 6 Speed Manual T56 Transmission with Like New Stage 3 Racing Clutch. The Car is Black with Black Leather Interior, Power Leather Driver Seat, Corvette ZR1 Rims with like new Z Rated Tires , Short Shifter, KYB Shocks and Struts, Eibach Lowering Springs, SS Hood, 350 LT1 bored out to 355ci , SBC Speed Pro Forged Pistons 30over, Forged Rods, LT4 Hotcam, MSD Coil, BBK 58MM Throttle Body, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers, 3 Inch Exhaust Y Pipe, Flowmaster Muffler, Posi Rear End w/ stock gear ratio. New Upper And Lower Radiator Hoses.
please let me know if this helps. I have yet to purchase the car, but i am seriously planning on it.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM

it also has an edelbrock cam i believe.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

does it have an edelbrock cam or the lt4 hotcam? the hotcam should be smog legal. the thing about smog and emissions is that if the cat is moved then i believe you automatically fail in some states, especially cali. this is why most people in cali go with shorties and put the cat back in the stock location

Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM

how much would a cat cost me? it has some edelbrock part on the front of the engine. But do you guys think that it only needs a cat to pass smog?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Ninja Administrator

cali has the strictest laws in the country. that car will probably not pass. the hotcam is big enough to lose vacuum and that will trip the O2 sensors. the 95 is OBD2 with an OBD1 port.... or its the other way around.... i cant remember. 95 is goofy. even though LT's are usually advertised as 50 state legal cali will usually fail them due to "other" things, like cat location as whammer said

Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Ninja Administrator

seriously, if u like workin on cars at all, at least for me, it would be worth it to move the hell out of cali lol..... before the governator destroys what is left of that hobby over there

Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM

well i really cant move, im too young, and with the economy now. I guess i can just make it a track car or find fake smog if thats possible. Who knows. and i thought the 95 had a obd 1.5 port where most smog shops cant use it.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Ninja Administrator

it does. the 1.5 uses eithere the 1 or 2 computer, and the opposite plug. i just cant remember which is which. there was a write up somewhere about how to make an adapter so that shops can read it

Quick Reply: making smog legal for calif