longtube headers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 PM
Default longtube headers.

I have a 97 Z28 /LT1 and want to increase performance and get better sound by putting on a set of longtube headers. I went to my local exhaust shop and was told that if I did there would no room for the cat's.
I definitely want to pass emissions when needed.
can I run the longtube headers and still have a legal setup?
can the cat or cats be installed after the Y pipe?
please let me know the truth about headers and emissions.
Thank you.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes you can get them with cats. you will want them in the same location to stay legal so you would want two. i have long tube headers with dual cats.

Name:  kooksheaders2.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  45.9 KB

Old 06-28-2015, 10:46 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by carrmann
I have a 97 Z28 /LT1 and want to increase performance and get better sound by putting on a set of longtube headers. I went to my local exhaust shop and was told that if I did there would no room for the cat's.
I definitely want to pass emissions when needed.
can I run the longtube headers and still have a legal setup?
can the cat or cats be installed after the Y pipe?
please let me know the truth about headers and emissions.
Thank you.
Is your emissions visual only? Or do they actually have a sniffer test? If they have a sniffer test, long tubes may not allows you to pass, even with cats. You may want to check local laws as to whether changing to long tubes is legal, as some states/counties, it is illegal.

If all checks out, what craby posted is your best option.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:06 PM
4th Gear Member

realy all you need for sound is to take off the tips an ad some magna flow tips I did 22 X 4inch,an that makes a difference for about 150.00 everything is restricted even the stock tips, depending on wich state you live in hear I think this year or next year in NH 97 falls excempt from emissions ,an to get the best sound an best air is straight runs ,I had the cat back all you realy get is sound ,not sure guys think your running 2 into one into 2 ,starves the engine for air ,its an ok start ,but true duals ,like night an day ,that's wear the real hp comes out ,though it works better for me couse of my set up ,back to carbed engine,guys that build up there lt1 an do 383s find that running true duals is better ,yes it helps the cat back much louder over stock throaty,but for true race car sound long tubes straight runs ,yes the mid length ,is what you want for now ,then you can still later on choose to go the other way,yes check to see if your car falls excempt .a lot of states certain years ,where ever you get your plates will know ,or any sticker station

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 06-28-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Nice set - Craby

Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
realy all you need for sound is to take off the tips an ad some magna flow tips I did 22 X 4inch,an that makes a difference for about 150.00 everything is restricted even the stock tips, depending on wich state you live in hear I think this year or next year in NH 97 falls excempt from emissions ,an to get the best sound an best air is straight runs ,I had the cat back all you realy get is sound ,not sure guys think your running 2 into one into 2 ,starves the engine for air ,its an ok start ,but true duals ,like night an day ,that's wear the real hp comes out ,though it works better for me couse of my set up ,back to carbed engine,guys that build up there lt1 an do 383s find that running true duals is better ,yes it helps the cat back much louder over stock throaty,but for true race car sound long tubes straight runs ,yes the mid length ,is what you want for now ,then you can still later on choose to go the other way,yes check to see if your car falls excempt .a lot of states certain years ,where ever you get your plates will know ,or any sticker station
sure, and running with no pipe after the muffler changes the sound as well. But, unless you are running a real tiny exhaust pipe (Z's came with 2 exits) you won't see any performance gains.

For the most part, I leave the science of exhaust to smarter people than me, namely the header designers. They design the primaries and collectors to make the best compromise of torque and HP and if you then run a system with the same size piping as the header collector then you have the best shot at increased performance.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=torque_is_good;702808]sure, and running with no pipe after the muffler changes the sound as well. But, unless you are running a real tiny exhaust pipe (Z's came with 2 exits) you won't see any performance gains. sorry just not true ,headers an true duals made huge diffrence for me ,very noticeable too ,we talk a lot about headers ,sure if there short comeing out of the hood ,but mine was starveing so bad before I put long tubes on with single chambers ,like night an day ,an I think I have said that in mant posts lately,when I hit the gas before it was dead ,the car shook to much from the built up pressure ,now when I hit the gas it gets up a goes the way performance engine should ,,I have not done it yet ,but my friend with same set up in his truck with 355,showed me the fire that comes ,so no one willconvince me I don't feel 20hp wich feels like 40,but not,the big part is to be able to see right through the pipes ,back to the header ports ,mine is 3 inch to 2,5 ,not that big a difference ,the 4inch tips gone now ,runs better drives better ,performs better ,yes a lot of guys wont get much hp ,but in my case ,its much beter then cat back ,I had cat back already ,again like night an day to true duals

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 07-01-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 AM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=95 camaro 406;702858]
Originally Posted by torque_is_good
sure, and running with no pipe after the muffler changes the sound as well. But, unless you are running a real tiny exhaust pipe (Z's came with 2 exits) you won't see any performance gains. sorry just not true ,headers an true duals made huge diffrence for me ,very noticeable too ,we talk a lot about headers ,sure if there short comeing out of the hood ,but mine was starveing so bad before I put long tubes on with single chambers ,like night an day ,an I think I have said that in mant posts lately,when I hit the gas before it was dead ,the car shook to much from the built up pressure ,now when I hit the gas it gets up a goes the way performance engine should ,,I have not done it yet ,but my friend with same set up in his truck with 355,showed me the fire that comes ,so no one willconvince me I don't feel 20hp wich feels like 40,but not,the big part is to be able to see right through the pipes ,back to the header ports ,mine is 3 inch to 2,5 ,not that big a difference ,the 4inch tips gone now ,runs better drives better ,performs better ,yes a lot of guys wont get much hp ,but in my case ,its much beter then cat back ,I had cat back already ,again like night an day to true duals
I try and pride myself on clear and concise posts. Apparently I fell short on that regard this time.

I was replying about exhaust tips only given the post to which I quoted and replied.

To reiterate what I said, it was discussing just the tips as repsonse to a prior post.

My comment was that cutting off the pipe from after the muffler will change the sound but.................and here is where the confusion must have come

Unless you are running incredibly small tail pipes (there are 2 on the Z) then you will see no performance increase.

We were not discussing longtubes, off road y pipe and 3 inch systems (which I have all of the above)

Old 05-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Any other brands out there make some?

Old 05-12-2016, 01:06 PM
4th Gear Member

No doubt on v8 cars my true duals with single chambers to feels like 50 hp with headers pacsetter ,for the v6 cars ,I hear about doing a lot of expencive cat backs an headers for 20 hp wich does not equal my 05 sable with 250hp stock,again my advice is update to a z28,the 3.8 cars are nice for cruseing unless you put a huge amount of money in them ,check out some of the projects ,an start saveing .but your better off to sell your v6 an get v8 there are many guys come hear want to get more hp out of there v6. for the year 200hp was alot ,220hp for that 20 hp will cost alot ,an you wont feel it like you would on a v8 car,true duals on a v6 I have not heard of but unless it was built I meen built look at the 3.8l build 1200.00 for torq coverter alone I can only imagine the done price of a 3.8l turbo build an they know what they are doing too 20 hp wont be enough you will be looking for more .craigs list every fall has deal on z28 cars ,last year I seen a 96 z28 78.000 miles $2800.00 was sweet looking car was dark purple like mine,but for say $1000.00 put it to another car

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 05-12-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: longtube headers.