Looking for the name of a part, and a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Default Looking for the name of a part, and a couple questions.

Hi, I'm brand new here, so I'm sorry if this is not the right place for this question. Well, okay... questions.

I have a 1999 Camaro, and it has T-tops. The part I need to get worked on (or replace) is the part that goes across that area. One piece from drivers side to passengers. I'll attach a pic. You can see it a bit on here. It's just faded badly and the paint is just coming off. That's been in about the last year or so, and I know it will just get worse if I don't address it. If someone can tell me what it's called so I can look into it. What's the best solution for that?

Name:  Paintonroof.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  65.3 KB

Also... we have this clear finish on the bumpers that is just kind of flecking off. I live in South Florida and the sun has made it worse since I moved to a place with no garage. What's the easiest way to fix this? Buff it off, and put on new clear? Pic attached of that also.

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/IMAG0336.jpg

On this one, I just attached the link, because you have to click it to make it bigger to see what I mean.

Obviously I'm not the car expert in the family, but I would like to get my car back in good shape.

Thank you for any help or advice you can give.

The rest of the car looks pretty good, but I know it needs some work overall.
http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/w...jay221/Camaro/

Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

first off welcome to the forums!

second the cross piece is part of the body and cant be pulled off. to fix it is to repaint it. same goes for back repaint the clear if its just that if the color is different than the rest of the car then it will needed to be repainted as well.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
first off welcome to the forums!

second the cross piece is part of the body and cant be pulled off. to fix it is to repaint it. same goes for back repaint the clear if its just that if the color is different than the rest of the car then it will needed to be repainted as well.
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for your help.

Not sure if you clicked the bumper pic link (it enlarges to a pretty decent view), but it's just the clear stuff that's coming off. Ultimately, I'd like the whole car to be repainted, because it could probably use it. But, right now I can't afford it.

I was hoping they could just pop that piece off, fix it/paint it, and pop it back on. That would be too easy, right? :-)

Well, this gives me something to think about. Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

That piece is called a sail panel and is notorious for bad paint, bubbling, etc.

6LE does make a replacement for it

1993-2002 Sail Roof Panel for T-Top FIBERGLASS, 6LE Designs LLC

Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Emjay
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for your help.

Not sure if you clicked the bumper pic link (it enlarges to a pretty decent view), but it's just the clear stuff that's coming off. Ultimately, I'd like the whole car to be repainted, because it could probably use it. But, right now I can't afford it.

I was hoping they could just pop that piece off, fix it/paint it, and pop it back on. That would be too easy, right? :-)

Well, this gives me something to think about. Thanks again!
honestly, don't bother

the roof has begun followed by the rear bumper and also i see the same on the front. Next will be the front quarter panels

it's time for a re-paint especially being in FL.

You have things working against you and there's nothing which can be done

first, you have a black car in FL

next, you must park it outside

you clear is already peeling

it's time to re-paint, hit it with 3 coats minimum of clear at the end and then keep it well waxed. The UV rays are more harsh in FL than in northern areas and black is the worst.

I have to do my 4th gen because it caught the cancer just like your car has.

I'll be doing it within the next few weeks

black and maroon get killed here in FL.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
That piece is called a sail panel and is notorious for bad paint, bubbling, etc.

6LE does make a replacement for it

1993-2002 Sail Roof Panel for T-Top FIBERGLASS, 6LE Designs LLC
Originally Posted by torque_is_good

the roof has begun followed by the rear bumper and also i see the same on the front. Next will be the front quarter panels
There's no paint coming off of the bumper. It's just the clear flaking off. But you're right, this sun is killing it. It did well for a long time and the location it was parked for the last year just had no shade at all. Just blazing sun.

The "sail panel" is the only part that has any actual paint bubble, chips, whatever it is called.

Thank you all.

Guess it's either time to sell it and get a different color that's been up north all its life or save up for a really nice paint job. I'll also look into that panel. If it can be replaced, it can probably be taken off and painted to tide me over for a while.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 AM
4th Gear Member

There's no paint coming off of the bumper. It's just the clear flaking off. But you're right, this sun is killing it. It did well for a long time and the location it was parked for the last year just had no shade at all. Just blazing sun.

The "sail panel" is the only part that has any actual paint bubble, chips, whatever it is called.

Thank you all.

Guess it's either time to sell it and get a different color that's been up north all its life or save up for a really nice paint job. I'll also look into that panel. If it can be replaced, it can probably be taken off and painted to tide me over for a while.
I did not say it was paint coming off. Since the car was painted with base/clear it's the clear which is flaking, bubbling and coming off

my 4th gen began with just a few bubbles on the roof. I re-did it but then the front quarters started and now I'm just doing the entire car.

I don't understand your northern climate comment. I'll take a FL car any day of the week over a northern car. It's you who chose an older black car in FL.

Black is ok in FL but you must spring for more expensive clear coat and keep it waxed waxed waxed.

If the car runs fine and you are short on cash then light sand it everyhwere and get a cheap Maaco job. I'm taking all the coats off of mine, priming and then hitting it with base/clear

If you tried to sell that to me with the exterior in its condition I'd be discussing the $2500 professional paint job I'd need to spring for to make it look good.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 PM

I did not say it was paint coming off. Since the car was painted with base/clear it's the clear which is flaking, bubbling and coming off

my 4th gen began with just a few bubbles on the roof. I re-did it but then the front quarters started and now I'm just doing the entire car.

I don't understand your northern climate comment. I'll take a FL car any day of the week over a northern car. It's you who chose an older black car in FL.

Black is ok in FL but you must spring for more expensive clear coat and keep it waxed waxed waxed.

If the car runs fine and you are short on cash then light sand it everyhwere and get a cheap Maaco job. I'm taking all the coats off of mine, priming and then hitting it with base/clear

If you tried to sell that to me with the exterior in its condition I'd be discussing the $2500 professional paint job I'd need to spring for to make it look good.
I didn't just buy the car. I've had it for several years. I also have never had a black car in Florida before, so this is paint issue IS new to me.

I made the comment about a car that's been up north all its life because everyone I talk to says "oh it's this Florida sun". I don't know anything about cars, so I asked. I just came here for some advice.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 PM
4th Gear Member

I didn't just buy the car. I've had it for several years. I also have never had a black car in Florida before, so this is paint issue IS new to me.

I made the comment about a car that's been up north all its life because everyone I talk to says "oh it's this Florida sun". I don't know anything about cars, so I asked. I just came here for some advice.

roofs on homes don't last as long

you need to wax your car more often

tires don't last as long

Old 05-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

tires don't last as long
Neither do your condoms. Floridians have to change out the one in their wallet monthly.