Default Back Breaks

Back Break:

Name:  IMG_20120523_153106.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  backbreak2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  5.6 KB

What i circled in the picture above i can not push back far enough to fit the break pad in there and put the whole thing back on the rotor. do i need a press for this too? I tried a C clamp like i used on the front ones but i could never get it far enough back.
yes the emergency break is off.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Try taking the cap off of the brake fluid reservoir? And yes you have to compress that caliper all the way or the new pads won't fit. A c-clamp should work.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can crack the bleader open to let fluid out as you compress the piston. you may want to tear it down more and make sure the sliders are lubed and working correctly.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 AM
3rd Gear Member

Don't you have to turn and press at the same time with the rear disks? I know (dont ban me for mentioning their names) dodge and ford you have to use a special kit that turns the piston at the same time as pushing it in, a regular c-clamp wont do it. Been a long time since I worked on a Chevy so I don't know if that is applicable here. I'm learning as well.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kent Eaton
Don't you have to turn and press at the same time with the rear disks? I know (dont ban me for mentioning their names) dodge and ford you have to use a special kit that turns the piston at the same time as pushing it in, a regular c-clamp wont do it. Been a long time since I worked on a Chevy so I don't know if that is applicable here. I'm learning as well.
nope

and about turning and twisting on those other brands

I guess I've been naughty. I know there's a tool but I've never used it.

to the OP, about the C clamp, remove the pad from the caliper and flip it and then put the clamp over it and compress. Or, we could just send Chuck Norris over to take care of it. That caliper would do as it's told right quick.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear member

If try what others say by opening the reservoir cap or the bleeder, if that doesn't work then you will most likely need to replace the brake hose and the rear caliper since the clogged hose most likely seized the caliper.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
nope

and about turning and twisting on those other brands

I guess I've been naughty. I know there's a tool but I've never used it.

to the OP, about the C clamp, remove the pad from the caliper and flip it and then put the clamp over it and compress. Or, we could just send Chuck Norris over to take care of it. That caliper would do as it's told right quick.

lol...I've been known to use a pair of needle nose pliers myself....but I scored one of those kits on ebay for $25, since I also own a furd and dodgem, it comes in handy. It could also be a seized piston.

Last edited by jkeaton; 05-24-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Overdrive Member

Last time I checked when you want to depress the caliper piston on the type that have the E-brake built in you need a "Pandora's Box" or another method to release the ratcheting mech that allows the E-brake to hold and not compress the piston. On 98+ cars the E-brake is a drum built into the rotor on the 93-97 cars is a ratchet mech.

Oh and make sure you get it right or you will break your brakes.

Massey

Old 05-25-2012, 12:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks everyone one. ill have to do this one saturday when im off from work again. and ill take some more pictures (hopefully when its done)

Old 05-26-2012, 04:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So my friend says that the piston is all the way pushed back and the break pad wont fit by near centimeters. Should i just replace the entire piece? How much would that run me?

Quick Reply: Back Breaks