info on dual electric fans cfm hp etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Default info on dual electric fans cfm hp etc

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to how much cfm the dual fans on the v8 cars puts out anyone know for sure?
Also how much HP are some of you guys able to cool with the stock fans?
Thanks!

Old 08-29-2015, 07:02 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by the13bats
I can't seem to find a definitive answer to how much cfm the dual fans on the v8 cars puts out anyone know for sure?
Also how much HP are some of you guys able to cool with the stock fans?
Thanks!
I'm curious as to why this is a concern. Are you building a high output engine to idle around town, lots of stop and go and not getting beyond 25mph?

Once you get past 25mph or so the air dam is directing a sufficeint flow of air to the radiator and as long as your waterpump is working, and cooling system in good order, you should be OK.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im at about 400hp with no issues.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:25 AM
4th Gear Member

i am running 400hp an 458tlbs with the old stock fans ,i just upgraded to a 3 core radiatore ,its enough to cool it down on 90+
. degree day,there pretty powerrful

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-29-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:04 PM

95 camaro 406

craby,

Thanks guys for answering my question...

torque is good,

You don't know the answer to my question that is okay, after all I didn't know and came here seeking the answer and received it from a couple helpful members,

As for your questions to me why I want to know the CFM of the stock camaro fans and how much HP people are running with the stock fans.

How much HP in a way helps when I cant get an answer for the cfm which getting the cfm of stock electric fans is hard,

One guy will say he is sure it's 2500 the next guy will say he is sure it's 8000.

In my case I am building a 69 corvette custom resto mod with a mild 454 I like to think a bit out side the box and test lots of stuff.

I had a custom aluminum radiator made for the car and in the way of electric fans many stock fans move far more cfm of air than expensive aftermarket fans,

I have done some testing with the Taurus two speed fan it's pretty nice it cooled my 383 and 454 but I wanted two fans and a better fitting shroud and the camaro dual 12" might be the answer,

In my case I live in Orlando and some days stuck in traffic it's well over 100 degrees, then add to the mix I have a mild 454 and ac so I do need to move a lot of air when stopped or moving slow something that happens a fair amount with a daily driver.

So I asked the questions here if someone chimed in that they had cooling issues with their camaro and it was stock then it sure wouldn't work on my car and not worth testing.

Thanks all!

Old 08-30-2015, 12:56 PM
4th Gear Member

when i had the lt1 in there one fan would come on then the other as needed to cool the .engine ,now i.have them hooked up to come on at the same time ,i imagine they will be very close mine sit very close to the engine ,an i think its one is 10 inch the other 12inch ,you want to keep cool run.a 160 190 or .160 200 temp sencor ,i had got mine from good old autozone was like 50.00 but was called hassle free temp sencor,.had to think out the .box with my build to ,could not go in an say this part. for that year car ,you may sacrifice a few hp but keep the engine cool ,get one of those 12.00 digital temp gauges to test on the hose

Old 08-30-2015, 03:31 PM

I wired up relays to run both my fans in series for low Then parallel for high, I have several temp switchs like the popular BMW ( 176 - 190 ) two in one unit and several set temps and adjustable ones so I can play with exactly what I desire,
I can post the wiring diagram if anyone desires.

I also always stove top test my switches to see if they really close when they are suppose to,

I thought about one fan on then both on however, with one on I feel I would loose some air being pulled from the open hole of the fan that's off as air will take the less resistant path not through the radiator.

I can get a camaro dual fan at the u pull it yards for about 35 bucks the size is almost perfect for my radiator so I do look forward to see what it does

Keep in mind my radiator is a custom built unit which cools cars with 800 plus hp which I do not have even close to....

Old 08-31-2015, 06:45 PM
4th Gear Member

2000 cfm to.3000 .cfm cools 700hp .so you should be good ,an you can get 12inch replacement fans for like $40.00 ,so what the guy said about 2000 cfm was closer then 8000 cfm would be for like those big tractors in the pulling leages makeing like 8000hp probley have like .2 for each huge.engine .some have like 6 engines makeing 1500 hp each

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-31-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:33 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by the13bats
95 camaro 406

craby,

Thanks guys for answering my question...

torque is good,

You don't know the answer to my question that is okay, after all I didn't know and came here seeking the answer and received it from a couple helpful members,

As for your questions to me why I want to know the CFM of the stock camaro fans and how much HP people are running with the stock fans.

How much HP in a way helps when I cant get an answer for the cfm which getting the cfm of stock electric fans is hard,

One guy will say he is sure it's 2500 the next guy will say he is sure it's 8000.

In my case I am building a 69 corvette custom resto mod with a mild 454 I like to think a bit out side the box and test lots of stuff.

I had a custom aluminum radiator made for the car and in the way of electric fans many stock fans move far more cfm of air than expensive aftermarket fans,

I have done some testing with the Taurus two speed fan it's pretty nice it cooled my 383 and 454 but I wanted two fans and a better fitting shroud and the camaro dual 12" might be the answer,

In my case I live in Orlando and some days stuck in traffic it's well over 100 degrees, then add to the mix I have a mild 454 and ac so I do need to move a lot of air when stopped or moving slow something that happens a fair amount with a daily driver.

So I asked the questions here if someone chimed in that they had cooling issues with their camaro and it was stock then it sure wouldn't work on my car and not worth testing.

Thanks all!
wow

you ask a vague question. Kudos for your "builds" as you will rarely read from me what I've built and continue to build because my replies are spot-on and need no "justification" by listing what I've done

I'm quite familiar with Orlando traffic especially to the east now that UCF is back in session. Interesting, a forum member that knows exactly where you are, modifies vehicles and knows about the temperatures and traffic, not just hypothetical stuff and you discard the offer of help from him.

So, if you want thorough answers, feel free to provide details. If you wanna get into #$% measuring contests, leave me out.

I'm glad to help and when people ask for specifics, it's not to upset you; it's to help you. You may wish to calm yourself and understand that.

Good luck wth your project(s) and I'll gladly answer questions if you wish

Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM
4th Gear Member

yes no matter what we reply ,we are all trying to help ,eachother ,alot of time i may not know the .answer but someone does ,an torque is good ,you have been alot of help to me ,we all learn from one another ,from the oldest an most knowledgable guys an ladys ,we can learn from the guy who is hear for there first time ,but reality is when you see a guy who have thousands of replys ,.he has some good stuff ,an we all answer questions different ,the same question can get 10 different answers that all meen the same thing

Quick Reply: info on dual electric fans cfm hp etc