I really need help 1996 z28 camaro!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
youtube works if you can get it on there.
Here is a reference meanwhile I do my video later on once I'm home.
But it sounds a lot like this, mines is probably worse as mines shakes .

Last edited by craby; 08-31-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Obviously if you post a video named bad rod knock and say it sounds like that we will tell you it is a bad rod BUT there are a lot of thing that can sound a lot worst then they are. A bent push rod, broken plugs ect...

Run your motor at idle for about 20 seconds. Pull out the dip stick and shut it down. Look at the dip stick under bright light and if possible magnification. If it look like a 8 year old girls glitter party then the motor is most likely toast. If there is no glitter keep search before you write off the motor. Next step would be cutting the filter.

If you have a spun rod it sure sounds like the mechanic had a fun test drive.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Obviously if you post a video named bad rod knock and say it sounds like that we will tell you it is a bad rod BUT there are a lot of thing that can sound a lot worst then they are. A bent push rod, broken plugs ect...

Run your motor at idle for about 20 seconds. Pull out the dip stick and shut it down. Look at the dip stick under bright light and if possible magnification. If it look like a 8 year old girls glitter party then the motor is most likely toast. If there is no glitter keep search before you write off the motor. Next step would be cutting the filter.

Okay thanks, I will take a look at it in a few. Here is an actual video link to my car and sound. It is 2 parts.
Part 1:
https://youtu.be/r9-xoaIJmFY

Part 2:
https://youtu.be/BCsiFMwIbo8

Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn

so I checked out the oil dipstick and I also rubbed some on a white piece of paper. The dipstick does not look as if there are little glitter pieces, although on the white piece of paper I noticed very little glitter just a tad bit but not sure. 1 out of 3 looks a bit glittery.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:22 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by alex5366
So then I should check my plugs and wires? I noticed one of my plug wires is cracked at the head. But will this really make that knocking noise that I'm having, as soon as I turn on the car it begins to knock and shake. It feels as if something is being beaten inside so I just turn it off. Here is a link to what the noise sounds like, I'll post a video of mines later this is just a reference. https://youtu.be/MqroCX1gjq8
You mentioned that the engine shakes, if it shakes it is misfiring, or there is serious engine damage. Like Gorn said make sure the engine is actually damaged before giving it up. The shaking could be the cause of the noise.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 AM
4th Gear Member

has it always taken that long to start?

it almost sounds like it's coming from underneath the driver's side valve cover but that's the problem with noise as it resonates.

Try to isolate the noise and verify that it is or isn't an accessory.

Then, the easier valve cover to remove is the drivers side so with the engine off, remove it and look for a loose rocker(s) or broken spring. Then start it with the cover off and verify that oil is pumping up and see if you hear the noise better

repeat for pass side

a video with increasing and decreasing the rpm would be good. You can stick your finger under the cover to move the throttle lever or remove the one bolt to get easier access

Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
has it always taken that long to start?

it almost sounds like it's coming from underneath the driver's side valve cover but that's the problem with noise as it resonates.

Try to isolate the noise and verify that it is or isn't an accessory.

Then, the easier valve cover to remove is the drivers side so with the engine off, remove it and look for a loose rocker(s) or broken spring. Then start it with the cover off and verify that oil is pumping up and see if you hear the noise better

repeat for pass side

a video with increasing and decreasing the rpm would be good. You can stick your finger under the cover to move the throttle lever or remove the one bolt to get easier access
Yes, it's always lagged on turning on the first turn. It usually turns on by the 3rd time. Okay, I will sure take a look under those valve covers as soon as I can and also create a video on increasing and decreasing my rpms. I just really hope it is nothing bad it only has 80k original miles on it. Quick question, would a bad knock sensor also cause this noise? My SES light is flashing.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

In your first video, the engine starts up and sounds like rocker arm(s) flying around or hitting a valve cover, then the engine begins a lower muffled rod knock sound.
Second video, I'm hearing tapping and a periodic knock sound. Either way, you have mechanical engine issues, but I would start by inspecting under a valve cover, on whichever side the noise is louder.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:57 PM
4th Gear Member

pop them both off ,an have a good look ,unless someone.over reved the engine that is low miles ,an burnouts can do the same ,if it turns out not to be toast ,then you relize they tough but only so tough,you may just have to rebuild the top ,or just certain parts like a rocker ,so theres hope these guys are good help

Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
pop them both off ,an have a good look ,unless someone.over reved the engine that is low miles ,an burnouts can do the same ,if it turns out not to be toast ,then you relize they tough but only so tough,you may just have to rebuild the top ,or just certain parts like a rocker ,so theres hope these guys are good help
Well my mechanic came by today and broke me down the bad news, he said the engine is pretty much done. He said a piece under the crankshaft got messed up and that is why I hear a banging noise when idle and gets louder as you accelerate. So now I don't even know what to do...I've never felt this bummed out