I really need help 1996 z28 camaro!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default I really need help 1996 z28 camaro!!!!

Let me get right to it. Just yesterday I took my car to get a complete exhaust system done. I have pacsetter long tubes, pacesetter ORY and a magnaflow catback installed. As of yesterday once I got the car from the shop, it was running like a champ with no problem. Today I noticed a loud noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay, but it sounds as if something is jumping around like if a bolt or nut went inside the motor. When I drive it the noise gets a bit worse and does not let the car show it's true power. When I turn the wheels it also gets loud for example if I do a u-turn, it gets loud as if it's getting caught on the wheel. Anyone can help me on this? I hope it's not something bad as this is my daily driver.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Tech Droid

It would be nice to hear the noise. Worst case you could have gotten a little too enthusiastic with the gas pedal and caused internal damage. Otherwise something got loose and banging around. The noise can affect the knock sensor and the computer is pulling back the spark advance, thus reducing power.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28pete
It would be nice to hear the noise. Worst case you could have gotten a little too enthusiastic with the gas pedal and caused internal damage. Otherwise something got loose and banging around. The noise can affect the knock sensor and the computer is pulling back the spark advance, thus reducing power.
Thanks for the quick reply man! To be honest, I did get on the gas pedal a couple of times. It's just really weird how fast it got messed up, right the next day. If it is internal,what would you think is wrong?

Old 08-31-2015, 01:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like you got some lose bolts. tighten your header bolts to the heads

Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
sounds like you got some lose bolts. tighten your header bolts to the heads
I checked all my header bolts and they are all intacked. What I'm thinking now (which I hope it is not) rod knock or a spun bearing

Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

can you post a recording of the noise.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
can you post a recording of the noise.
Sure. But how would I post it on here or send it to you directly? I'm on the mobile site on my phone.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Droid

Common problems with headers is that the plug wires are set too close or touching the hot exhaust parts and ruining the insulation. In this case the spark goes directly to ground and causing a misfire. The misfire can cause the engine to shake and cause parts to bang around, such as a close fitting exhaust banging into body parts.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

youtube works if you can get it on there.

Originally Posted by alex5366
Sure. But how would I post it on here or send it to you directly? I'm on the mobile site on my phone.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28pete
Common problems with headers is that the plug wires are set too close or touching the hot exhaust parts and ruining the insulation. In this case the spark goes directly to ground and causing a misfire. The misfire can cause the engine to shake and cause parts to bang around, such as a close fitting exhaust banging into body parts.
So then I should check my plugs and wires? I noticed one of my plug wires is cracked at the head. But will this really make that knocking noise that I'm having, as soon as I turn on the car it begins to knock and shake. It feels as if something is being beaten inside so I just turn it off. Here is a link to what the noise sounds like, I'll post a video of mines later this is just a reference. https://youtu.be/MqroCX1gjq8

Quick Reply: I really need help 1996 z28 camaro!!!!