how to wire a manual fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear member
Default how to wire a manual fan switch

so i bought this thinking it would solve my overheating problem and it did not http://www.summitracing.com/parts/je...t/model/camaro

i now want to wire a manual fan switch and i want to make it with speaker wires and buy a switch. is there any step by step guides to do this?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 AM
4th Gear Member

forgive me if I do not recall your "overheating problem" but if you have one, a manual fan switch isn't "the fix"

yes, it might be a band-aid.

If the overheating occurs above 30mph then it's not a fan issue

If it ONLY occurs during stop and go traffic and at idle, then verify that the fans actually work.

As for a switch, it's nothing more than an interrupt for the hot lead. So, if you really want to do it, find a non computer controlled hot lead which can handle the additional current draw (fuse and wire gauge- basic electricity stuff here). Try and find one which is only "hot" when the ignition is in "run". Or go full shade-tree and wire right to the battery but, put a switch in between.
If you go direct to battery then be sure to shut off the fans or you'll be needing a jump.

If it were me, I'd find the actual cause of the problem.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

have you done a compression test? you've been having this issue for a long time and im wondering if you've got a blown head gasket. I had "unfixable" overheating that turned out to be the head gasket on my 2002 v6. just some food for thought.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by ztwentyate
have you done a compression test? you've been having this issue for a long time and im wondering if you've got a blown head gasket. I had "unfixable" overheating that turned out to be the head gasket on my 2002 v6. just some food for thought.
i have compression checked it and done a block test multiple times to no avail. i believe i found out what it was i wire tapped in a wire directly from the fan to a 12v source so my cars fans are turning on now and it dosent get hot anymore. i found out previous owner had butcherd the fans electrical

Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

allot of the systems are ground controlled. sounds like for some reason power is not getting to the fan. good to hear you found a way to make it work

Old 07-01-2015, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
allot of the systems are ground controlled. sounds like for some reason power is not getting to the fan. good to hear you found a way to make it work
while i found the fix the a/c compressor fuse keeps blowing. which is causing my fans not to turn on. i bought a fuse tap and put 2 10A's in there and only 1 of them blew. The a/c compressor on the fuse panel box says to have a 15A in there could that be my problem? when the fuse dosent blow the fans stay on and my car stays cool.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:18 PM
2nd Gear member

i think i may need an inline fuse to stop the fuse tap from blowing what are ur opions?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

start with a 15 amp fuse. the hot wire you ran to fans is getting power from where?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
start with a 15 amp fuse. the hot wire you ran to fans is getting power from where?
its getting power from the fuse. well the fuse tap only said to use 1-10a amps so it would be okay to go higher then?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ahh i see, i would wire to the power junction box on the passenger side wheel well and put in line fuse on it. i am wondering if your fan motor/s are getting tired and drawing to many amps.

Quick Reply: how to wire a manual fan switch