how to wire a manual fan switch

Old 07-03-2015, 08:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by warmeck
its a 94 its 3

Early production has 2, Late production has 3 (just for clarification).

I have seen the 3-relay setup confuse seasoned mechanics, Don't feel bad!

The fan relays are NOT fused, They get their power from the power distribution block on the passenger side. A Fusible Link is the only circuit protection for both fan motors.

All 3 fan relay Ignition circuits are protected by Fuse #6 (Fans/ACTR). Is this the fuse that is blowing?

The PCM grounds fan relay 1 for Low Speed operation, Both fans operate at 1/2 speed, Fan 1 is powered, But the ground is routed through Fan 2 (Operating is Series)

Here's a oversimplified drawing to help Name:  700222%20001_zpstfnqrqlv.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  26.1 KB

The PCM grounds all 3 relays for both fans to run full speed (Operating in Parallel)

Here is the factory diagram Name:  94%20cooling%20fans_zpsbhacycve.gif
Views: 352
Size:  46.5 KB

Fans can draw up to 20 amps EACH when started with full 12 volts, Then the amp draw will lower significantly once the blades are up to speed.

This thread has me completely confused, I hope your not powering 2 fans with 14 gauge wiring & a 15/20 amp fuse??

Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Early production has 2, Late production has 3 (just for clarification).

I have seen the 3-relay setup confuse seasoned mechanics, Don't feel bad!

The fan relays are NOT fused, They get their power from the power distribution block on the passenger side. A Fusible Link is the only circuit protection for both fan motors.

All 3 fan relay Ignition circuits are protected by Fuse #6 (Fans/ACTR). Is this the fuse that is blowing?

The PCM grounds fan relay 1 for Low Speed operation, Both fans operate at 1/2 speed, Fan 1 is powered, But the ground is routed through Fan 2 (Operating is Series)

Here's a oversimplified drawing to help

The PCM grounds all 3 relays for both fans to run full speed (Operating in Parallel)

Here is the factory diagram

Fans can draw up to 20 amps EACH when started with full 12 volts, Then the amp draw will lower significantly once the blades are up to speed.

This thread has me completely confused, I hope your not powering 2 fans with 14 gauge wiring & a 15/20 amp fuse??
thats exactly what im doing. I will definately take the wire and wire it to the passenger side power junction and but an inline fuse on it just in case.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear member

okay so i wired it to the passenger side power junction and put an inline fuse in it 30A and as soon as i put it on the fans come on. the ignition is not even turned on so will this continue to run with the ignition off or will it eventually turn itself off?

Old 07-04-2015, 04:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by warmeck
okay so i wired it to the passenger side power junction and put an inline fuse in it 30A and as soon as i put it on the fans come on. the ignition is not even turned on so will this continue to run with the ignition off or will it eventually turn itself off?
if you wired into an always hot connection then the fans will stop once the battery is drained. Or, you could install a switch

Old 07-04-2015, 06:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
if you wired into an always hot connection then the fans will stop once the battery is drained. Or, you could install a switch
yup thats what i am doing as we speak i figured thats what i was missing. i am wiring it thropugh the firewall i got my car ripped apart lol. thanks for the info

Old 07-05-2015, 12:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Why not FIX IT? I gave you factory diagrams? Am I missing something here?
Could be as simple as a bad relay.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:07 AM
4th Gear Member

IMO, the diagram should be added as a sticky or permalink within a how-to thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 PM
4th Gear Member

with a switch if you forget to turn them on that could be bad ,your fans should only come on according to fan temp sencer ,come on around 200 to 220 an shut off around 160,laser temp gauges are cheap tool to have when trouble shooting overheating $15.00,

Old 07-05-2015, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear member

i probably left this out but i have bought brand new relalys for the entire fuse box. i know it has to do with my previous owner butchering the wiring as i can see there are many wires that are spliced into the normal wiring of the fans. i dont have the time to search each wire to find the culprit so for now i will wire in a fan switch. but i will come back to this thread when i have time test each wire and fix it the factory way.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
with a switch if you forget to turn them on that could be bad ,your fans should only come on according to fan temp sencer ,come on around 200 to 220 an shut off around 160,laser temp gauges are cheap tool to have when trouble shooting overheating $15.00,
i had bought that sensor from summit but it did not work because my wiring is messed up somewhere in the fans so the ecm is not getting the signal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to wire a manual fan switch