how to wire a manual fan switch

Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
ahh i see, i would wire to the power junction box on the passenger side wheel well and put in line fuse on it. i am wondering if your fan motor/s are getting tired and drawing to many amps.
another thing thats kinda confusing is that the wire is black. which i thought always meant it was a ground? i will definitely see if it can reach. if not then i will replace the wire and route another one. it could be the case, because its blowing pretty quickly and ive put multiple ones in. the inline fuse probably will be better but i am wondering what size fuse should i put in it.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What year Camaro? If its a '94....Does it have 3 fan relays or just 2?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by clinebarger
What year Camaro? If its a '94....Does it have 3 fan relays or just 2?
its a 94 its 3

Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by warmeck
while i found the fix the a/c compressor fuse keeps blowing. which is causing my fans not to turn on. i bought a fuse tap and put 2 10A's in there and only 1 of them blew. The a/c compressor on the fuse panel box says to have a 15A in there could that be my problem? when the fuse dosent blow the fans stay on and my car stays cool.
Using two 10 amp fuses together doesn't = 20 amps of load capability, they're still 10 amps. That's why only one of them blew, the connection was then broken.
But I don't understand why you used a fuse tap with 10 amp fuses instead of just popping in a 15 amp fuse?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Using two 10 amp fuses together doesn't = 20 amps of load capability, they're still 10 amps. That's why only one of them blew, the connection was then broken.
But I don't understand why you used a fuse tap with 10 amp fuses instead of just popping in a 15 amp fuse?
because thats the only fuse tap that i saw at the auto store was one that said 1-10a only. but i will disregard that and put in a 15 amp fuse and see what it does. there is a wire that i fuse taped to the fuse so that my fans would come on. before i bought the fuse tap i had just put it under a 20a fuse and it worked for about half a day then blew the fuse. So i bought a fuse tap thinking it would help the load + make a correct connection for what i was trying to do.

Last edited by warmeck; 07-01-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:42 PM
2nd Gear member

popped 2 15a in the fuse tap and all is well now

Old 07-02-2015, 05:45 PM
4th Gear Member

popped 2 15a in the fuse tap and all is well now
IDK if the fans actually draw 10amps. If they do not, and a 15 amp "fixed" the problem, then you have an issue with the load (the fans)

Of course, if the fans actually do draw in excess of 10 amps, then be sure the gauge wire used will support that current or it will overheat, cause more resistance, get hotter, and either catch fire or blow the fuse. You never never never never never never "over-fuse" (or breaker)

I still have not seen a reply from you about when the overheating actually occurs or is it just the temp gauge rises but it never overheats?

Fans should not be needed when driving above 25-30 mph

Old 07-02-2015, 05:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is the air blowing the right way? toward the engine.

another thing thats kinda confusing is that the wire is black. which i thought always meant it was a ground? i will definitely see if it can reach. if not then i will replace the wire and route another one. it could be the case, because its blowing pretty quickly and ive put multiple ones in. the inline fuse probably will be better but i am wondering what size fuse should i put in it.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
IDK if the fans actually draw 10amps. If they do not, and a 15 amp "fixed" the problem, then you have an issue with the load (the fans)

Of course, if the fans actually do draw in excess of 10 amps, then be sure the gauge wire used will support that current or it will overheat, cause more resistance, get hotter, and either catch fire or blow the fuse. You never never never never never never "over-fuse" (or breaker)

I still have not seen a reply from you about when the overheating actually occurs or is it just the temp gauge rises but it never overheats?

Fans should not be needed when driving above 25-30 mph
It only happens in stop and go traffic/traffic light too long

Old 07-02-2015, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
is the air blowing the right way? toward the engine.
yes i put my hand where the fans are and i could feel the cool air blowing towards the engine, god was i happpy lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to wire a manual fan switch