how long do we hold onto a 4th gen.? replace with upgraded Camaro or add an addition?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by CamBigCat
AND if something is wrong like the driveshaft is defective on a 4th gen. and it conks out on you without notice like mine did 3 months ago and the car would only go in reverse and not go forward, (real bad prob. cos u think the car is toast, but it's not) that's $630 which includes labor at a shop for a Reman. driveshaft.; it IS a defective part on a 4th gen.

This is perfect example, If you are going to buy an older car you really need to make sure you do your research and you know how to do basic mechanic. No offence CamBigCat but this should be a minor repair that costs less then $100. The 2 pc drive shaft can be replaced with a single pc drive shaft that can be bought for $40 or less at any yard and it take about 20 minutes to do the repair with a 7/16 wrench. Most of that 20 minutes is jacking the car up. If you want to get fancy you could have done an all aluminum drive shaft with new u-joints and it would cost $120 and 40 minutes. That what I did when my carrier bearing and drive shaft failed on my 96. I forget what year but GM itself just stopped using the the 2 pc drive shaft with no other changes.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
This is perfect example, If you are going to buy an older car you really need to make sure you do your research and you know how to do basic mechanic. No offence CamBigCat but this should be a minor repair that costs less then $100. The 2 pc drive shaft can be replaced with a single pc drive shaft that can be bought for $40 or less at any yard and it take about 20 minutes to do the repair with a 7/16 wrench. Most of that 20 minutes is jacking the car up. If you want to get fancy you could have done an all aluminum drive shaft with new u-joints and it would cost $120 and 40 minutes. That what I did when my carrier bearing and drive shaft failed on my 96. I forget what year but GM itself just stopped using the the 2 pc drive shaft with no other changes.
That's exactly what I'm doing with mine. There's like...way too many threads on this exact subject to go wasting $600 on a drive shaft.

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I wasn't even considering used tires.

I'm not a fan of used tires. Used wheels, sure
I bought brand new Hankook Ventus v2 Concept 2 tires and OEM wheels from a '95 for $591, sorry I didn't make that clear. The tires were $291 and the wheels $300. A little persuasion goes a long way with getting deals on tires and wheels...

Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Harlock
That's exactly what I'm doing with mine. There's like...way too many threads on this exact subject to go wasting $600 on a drive shaft.

I bought brand new Hankook Ventus v2 Concept 2 tires and OEM wheels from a '95 for $591, sorry I didn't make that clear. The tires were $291 and the wheels $300. A little persuasion goes a long way with getting deals on tires and wheels...
ahhh, qty 2

I was assuming qty 4 and we know what happens when 1 *** U MEs

Old 04-14-2016, 07:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

No, I bought four tires. Not two. "Hankook Ventus v2 Concept 2" is the name of the tire. Is it really that hard to grasp I didn't drop $1k+ on a set of new tires and used wheels, or are you trolling?

Old 04-14-2016, 08:25 AM
4th Gear Member

No, I bought four tires. Not two. "Hankook Ventus v2 Concept 2" is the name of the tire. Is it really that hard to grasp I didn't drop $1k+ on a set of new tires and used wheels, or are you trolling?
$72.75 per tire taxes/mounted/disposal is an awesome deal for 17 inch be they 245's or 275's

I have never seen 17's that cheap but if you got them at that price, that's great

why the hostility?

You know what you paid and what you purchased. If you read thorugh your posts it's nebulous at best

It's simply a matter of style yet you ask about "trolling"

We here only have the data that is in the psots

example,

hey everyone, get jealous, I purchased qty 4 Hankooks 275 40 17 out the door price, complete, mounted/balanced/tax/disposal for under $73 per tire

We all would then know the qty and the complete price and I for one would be asking where did u get such a deal because I'll by some and store them

then, for clarification, I would also write: I also picked up a set of qty 4 used 17 x 9.5 wheels in great condition for $x

I got excited when I found Sumitomos HTR-AS for $90 per tire delivered but not mounted (275 40 17)

Old 04-14-2016, 10:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Just kinda strange to me that when I said "I paid $591 for wheels and tires" referring to my overall budget, you assumed I bought used tires, then when I said they were new, you assumed I only bought two for some reason? You actually came of as snarky by saying "I wasn't even considering used tires" after I stated the price I paid. Sounded like you were putting yourself above me by assuming I had to buy used tires because I'm too poor to get new ones, then as if I was too poor to get four new ones.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Just kinda strange to me that when I said "I paid $591 for wheels and tires" referring to my overall budget, you assumed I bought used tires, then when I said they were new, you assumed I only bought two for some reason? You actually came of as snarky by saying "I wasn't even considering used tires" after I stated the price I paid. Sounded like you were putting yourself above me by assuming I had to buy used tires because I'm too poor to get new ones, then as if I was too poor to get four new ones.
I'm sorry but I could not glean that from your posts

So now you're holding out on us

what size where they and where can we get them? I don't know what size you got but if they're 275 40 17s then I'm getting some for that cheap and I'll keep them in the garage.

Around here, you can't touch 275 40 17's at retail for under $150 per tire and that's before tax and installation

That's why i always order on line and try and get through discounttiredirect.com as they don't charge shipping or tax.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
what size where they and where can we get them? I don't know what size you got but if they're 275 40 17s then I'm getting some for that cheap and I'll keep them in the garage.

Around here, you can't touch 275 40 17's at retail for under $150 per tire and that's before tax and installation
They're 16" because.... "OEM wheels from a '95". That means they're salad shooters, which also means dirt cheap.
On tirerack, the (biggest 16" available) 245 50R16's Ventus V2 Concept2 are $328.40 for a set of 4.
But wait, there's less, they're only $288.40 after mail-in rebate. Better start stock-piling!

Old 04-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

maybe 18" are cheaper then 17's

I just got these from tire rack for my Z.

275/40ZR-18 Sumitomo HTR Z II $109.95ea

Nope 17" are cheaper.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

If you have an approved installer around you it is pretty tuff to beat the tire rack.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-14-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok "newbie" have more respect for a higher tier member like myself, especially the Original poster of this here thread. "Silly" is not even being on here long enough like yourself and using the word "silly" with members (like me) who have posted here for a lot longer than you, partner. Those 700 dollars in wheels you spent, I spent 440 dollars at a used tire lot with awsesome threads, great modern rims, and fat racing slicks which are larger tires that don't need the stock allen wrench to take off. You used 2 stupid words twice in your 2 replies. I was only trying to help you, learn some decorum please. Doesn't your car run, right? Isn't that what you mentioned? So, uh, why are you working armpit backwards and concerned with putting shoes on your wheels? best luck with whatever in the world you're attempting to do with your 4th gen. that currently doesn't run... and don't ever reply to me again.

Last edited by CamBigCat; 04-15-2016 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: how long do we hold onto a 4th gen.? replace with upgraded Camaro or add an addition?