hi, new here, installing stereo

Old 01-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Default hi, new here, installing stereo

Hey guysI am new here, I am considering installing a 12 in sub, amo, and dvd deck into my 2002 b.r.r z28 conv. Has anyone else with the same type of car dont the installation themselves, is it difficult? Thanks for your time fellas.

Will, MN

Old 01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: hi, new here, installing stereo

DVD player deck will be installed same as any other deck, and i honestly, think it's best to bring it to someone to do the deck, and usually, it's only like 20bucks to get it put in, and another 50 or so for hardware. also, that way, if something goes wrong, it's on their shoulders. and normally, they will run all your wires to the back of the car for free too, so long as you buy the wires.

for the sub(s).. do the convertables still have the "trunk" space, where a hard top's t tops would go? if so, i would do either 2 10s or 2 12s, and i can post some pics of what it'd look like. you can order custom made boxes too. if it doesnt have that space, best bet would be to have a custom box made to replace back seats, but then you mite get into some $$$

FYI, ive had best luck with electronics warehouse, they're install everything even if you didnt buy from them.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah actually I just got done installing my entire system the other day. I put some 6 1/2 Infinitys for the speakers an Alpine deck and the Infinity Basslink.. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140392383837).. It's 1 10 that hits really good and is more than enough for what I was looking for and doesn'ttake up much space at all.I really had no idea of what I was getting myself into but six hours later and a sore back (i'm 6'4") it sounds awsome.

As far as install the deck requires a wiring harness that you have to splice the wires and actually do some wiring but it's color coded and step by step in the directions.I found the hardest part to be hiding the wiresin the side paneling from the back to the front. There were a lot of wires to run and there wasn't much space in the paneling to run them. As long as you can read directions you can install the deck and wire the amp. It's pretty self explanitory. The only big problem I ran into was finding a way to run the power cord from the amp through the firewall tothe battery. Which in my case I had installed the deck first and instead of running the wire through the firewall I just ran it to my wiring harness what had a line that went to the battery. After I was done I was bragging to the car audio installers at work (best buy) and they said I should have ran the power cordon the opposite side awayfrom the rest of the wires because they say you run into interference problems down the road.. but I sure as hell am not getting back in there until I need to.[&o]

Old 01-19-2008, 09:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea I have a conv. and as far as trunk space it has the same cobby hole as the hard tops but lacks the nice trunk lid that helps the bass! I would go with 2 10's or a twelve imo.. it just depends what your looking for as far as sound??The dvd players hook up the same as a deck but they have usually a yellow wire with blu stripe that you have to hook up to a break for the screen to come on! In order to bypass that all you do ishook the wire to a toggle switch and then the other end to a ground source.........On mine I have to flip the switch on then off.....and then back onthus leaving it grounded! Then the screen pops up!! Most places around me wont do it because of safety!so even ifyou have a shop do it make sure they do that if they would rather than having to watch a movie when your parked!