HELP, loss of power when accelerating

Old 10-16-2014, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default HELP, loss of power when accelerating

I have no clue where to start here. This problem started today later in the afternoon after driving my car in the morning and during my lunch break. sorry for the story but here we go. On the way home I stopped to get gas. about 4 miles into my drive while sitting at the light my car began sputtering heavily. Prior to this about 2 days before I noticed my engine light was coming on due to the IAT wires being ripped. I also have some rips in my intake elbow. (ordered new parts and those are on the way). But back to the sputtering. I never had signs of this loss of power until today. The car sputters heavy during acceleration and when sitting at the light, when I get a little momentum cruise around 20mph and above its not an issue. I do hear and feel sputter and loss of power when I mash the gas. When I got home and parked the car I noticed smoke coming from around the catalytic converter. could this be bad gas? lack of air flowing into the engine? Let me know if I need to clarify anything in this paragraph. thanks (this is a 95 z28)

Old 10-17-2014, 08:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like a plugged cat. could be water/crud in gas and fuel filter is plugging up.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
sounds like a plugged cat. could be water/crud in gas and fuel filter is plugging up.
Thanks for responding. How would I go about fixing this if that is the case? I am going to get some shell gas and dump some sea foam in the tank. Good idea?

Old 10-17-2014, 03:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

change fuel filter first, dump contents in a clear container and see whats in it. need to dump from the tank side of the filter. test the backpressure in the exhaust system.
you could gut the cat, ram a steel bar through to clear the insides out.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm. I also noticed that when accelerating it makes loud hiss noises and when coming to a stop I get the heavy vibration idle. Not break pulsation. I added some gas removed the filter and cleaned it, also tossed some Lucas treatment in the tank. I guess I'll burn that gas out and go with the tests if nothing changes.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
change fuel filter first, dump contents in a clear container and see whats in it. need to dump from the tank side of the filter. test the backpressure in the exhaust system. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wG8C6L5eUc" target="_blank">Exhaust backpressure testing - YouTube</a> <br />
you could gut the cat, ram a steel bar through to clear the insides out.
<br />
Alright I give in. I am now getting a rotten egg sulfur smell. I know you are right about the cats. It's just random how it happened after this gas station trip. I will be taking it up To the shop today and let you know what they say. Thanks again

Last edited by rs657f; 10-20-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep sounds like a plugged cat alright. could gut it. aka taking the insides out.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

alright so had the cat chopped. That's not the case. Car still is idling heavy and makes a heavy flutter sound when accelerating. I checked the fuel pressure but it shows zero when I prime the key. I'll have to test it again today and try to get some of this fuel out before it causes more damage. That's the only thing I could think is still causing the issue

Old 10-24-2014, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Another update. I emptied the gas out tossed some 93 in there and more sea foam and Lucas. Still idles Heavy and shakes at low rpm. Waiting on injectors and will hope that does the trick

Old 11-21-2014, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

yup opti was shot, that came out of nowhere. Still at the shop since i decided to get some other stuff done. Hope all goes well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP, loss of power when accelerating