Help diva in distress security light on and car wont start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Angry Help diva in distress security light on and car wont start!!!!

Okay this is rather frustrating, i have a 2000 v6 chevy camaro
my security light came on about a week ago...it would come on for 3 minutes the car wouldn't start
after the 3 minutes it would start and the light will go off
but every time i tried to start my car the light would come on and go off..
To make a long story short it came on and stayed on for like 3 days and then it just went out on me!! I'm so confused i had the ignition changed like a year ago, and i haven't had problems until now
i had a key made and its still not starting
can someone please help me with this issue
i'm trying not to spend as much money because i just got it out the shop had the throttle body and water pump changed so if there is a simple way to fix this please help

Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

if the security light is on, its gotta be a VATS issue. there must be something wrong so its not showing the proper resistance in order to start. its possible they used the wrong key blank i assume

Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

body control modual may be acting up, could have a bad wire in the column from the key slug, im sure youll get more responses. heres something i found on how to take the bcm out of the vats then if you want you can have the vats tuned out of the pcm.

You can just ground the yellow with black wire at the starter relay and the starter will work normally without any problem from the VATS system. The yellow with black wire is the starter relay coil ground wire which goes to the BCM. The BCM decides whether to provide the ground based on the VATS system. Grounding the wire at the relay just eliminates the BCM from the circuit.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear Member

the modual is in tamper mode. thats when the resistance value from start up does not match the value stored in the memory of the module. the system shuts down for a 4 min time out. tryin to restart the car within the time period starts the timer over. your key could be bad. I personally bypassed my system was giving me to much problems

Old 08-14-2011, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

^ any stickies or how to`s on bypassing the vats?

Old 08-14-2011, 03:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

would be nice to have one of our own document the bypass and or delete. there is a sticky on it now, lol, its in the how to sticky and it covers the lt style and some of it is good for most all the models, i havent found enough on the ls system to add to it yet.

Last edited by craby; 08-14-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:50 AM

I called an alarm shop and asked could they bypass and they said i have to take it to the dealership, i read something on the internet saying if you stick your key in the ignition and leave it in for 10 minutes until the light stays on and then try to start it that will reset the system.
I did look under steering wheel and its so many damn wires i wouldnt know where to begin

Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Overdrive Member

Get the car scanned at the dealer shop or another shop that can scan the security system -- i.e. NOT an auto parts store, typically. Then you will better know the source of the problem and post the code here.

Is your previous repair still under warranty? If so, take it back to them and get it fixed -- even if it's not, they may have done the repair improperly and be on the hook for at least a discount off the repair.

If you want to do a hack (I wouldn't personally), here's a bypass, but may be a little different for year 2K:

http://shbox.com/1/how_tos.html

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-16-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:39 PM

where did you get the resistor you used ??? an when measuring my key chip i get 2.28 ohms an that is not on that chart for key codes I even went to dealer gave 18.00 for a NEW key still nutin read it at 2.37 ohms i'm sure it's my key cyl. problem cause i can put the key in turn to on position then check at the plug an i got nothing ! does not read the same as the key chip. it reads nothing! so i think i have a broken wire SO i want to do the bypass rather than buy a cylinder an have to have new keys cut....