Trying to trouble shoot before spending money

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:28 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Trying to trouble shoot before spending money

Ok, so last week my carstarted acting funny. When i am cruising my car revs at 1500rpms even if im steadily accelerating to about 50mph (if i romp on it thats another story) When driving on the freeway at a stead 75-80mph it revs at about 2000rpms. It just feels sluggish all around unless im on the pedal. Also earlier last week i was driving and i heard a clunk the gas loses pressure and the service engine soon light comes on and the day before i ran a scan and nothing came up. Anywaytwo seconds later (and i mean two seconds it was very quick) the light shut off and my pedal returned to its normal stiffness. So fast forward to today i was warming the car up and the light flashes on then off again.... what could this be? I know i have a single cyl misfire not sure how long but i have one. What can i do to remedy this problem before droping 100 bucks off at the chevy dealership to have them diagnose?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Trying to trouble shoot before spending money

is it a chronic misfire, or sporadic? a misfire can seriously affect your performance....... i accidentally had cyl 4 unplugged on my car after my header install.... once i caught it i swear i gained over 60hp on the butt dyno.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM
4th Gear Member

chronic. If you hold my door open you can see that it rattles n shakes evenly but not like it would with a cam. And when i put the paper over my tail pipes it was a constantly getting sucked in. Ive checked all my plugs and they all look and feel plugged in and the plugs ive installed are all doen correctly. The rattle i feel has been there since i bought the car too.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Ninja Administrator

if you have a misfire you will see a flashing SES light. ur car is pretty good about telling you.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

This all sounds too coincidental since you just finished replacing your plugs. I know you looked at your plugs, but is there a chance that maybe one of them wound up with a cracked ceramic (considering the contortions required to install)? Or maybe one of your wires got damaged (end pulled loose) when you removed them? One of your plugs could be shorting out or not firing, leaving your engine running on only 7 cylinders. What you can do to check if it's a misfire/no fire problem is to remove one plug wire at a time with the engine off, then start the engine and see if it runs worse or not. If the engine shudders worse, put that wire back on and remove a different one. If you pull a wire and it doesn't change the engine's behavior, you just found the trouble maker.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

And when i put the paper over my tail pipes it was a constantly getting sucked in.
oh f*** that does NOT sound good

Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 PM
4th Gear Member

I scheduled an engine diagnosis 2morrow for 100 bucks. Im just gonna bite the bullet and have an experienced tech look at it.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Ninja Administrator

did u gap ur plugs appropriately before installing them?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
4th Gear Member

yessir. Im sure i can go back thru and check to see if i might have accidently bent one trying to fit it in there. But as for the SES light it comes on with the check guages light when i turn my ignition on before starting. However it flashes every now and then like i said. I ran a check at my shop class and it came up with a code 44 and 48 if i recall correct. Mass airflow and running lean on the left bank. The rattling has been going on since i bought the car ive noticed all the symptoms i just didnt know they ment misfire so i know its not from my plug change.