hello been a while and have a question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default hello been a while and have a question

I have been wanting to buy another Camaro again in life I have found a 98 v6 with a 5 speed at a little dealer that sells just about everything.. we had it planned for me to go first thing this morning to look at it and everything. I was about half way there and they called and said it was smoking when they started it up to get it ready before I got there....salesman said he had his mechanic look at it and told him it was a head gasket. I went ahead and went to look at it because it was about an hour and a half drive anyway. got there they had it in the bay in the air tearing into it they let it down and let me look at it. Anyways they said they would have to add 200 to our deal for fixing it if I still wanted it. question is I don't know weather to run away as fast as I can or take a chance on it. car has 201,000 thousand miles and all they can basically tell me is that the last owner told them he had motor and trans rebuilt but don't know when....I would think if that was the case then why a blown gasket already.. I am a racecar driver and can fix anything needed and have common sense but im just lost on if I should take the chance on it or not.. its a steal at 1500 out the door so its not like I would loose a ton if it turns out to be a bad decision thanks....

Old 09-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A well kept 3800 should last 200K, Stock intake and head gaskets are the only real weak link. Once those are replaced the motor should be bullet proof. I would be worried about a rebuild engine the blew a head gasket.

If it is an original motor with 200K and the head gasket was blew I would say that was most likely well kept. The question is why did it blow a replacement gasket? Did it over heat? If so what else got damaged? Why did it overheat? is that fixed? Is this repair being done right? did the heads get checked for cracks or warpage? Warpage would be a reason for a new head gasket having a short life. These motors are cheap and easy to come by since you can put just about any 3800 in them up to 2008 or so. I comes down to a roll of the dice. Do you feel lucky?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

im with you on that gorn.. roll of the dice... I wish I knew the answers to them questions to...I also have another option I have found a 99 v6 auto with a blown motor and the guy says he has a low mileage good motor to go with it that's good. asking 1k for all of it im almost thinking that may be the better choice but would love to make it a 5 speed. if I went that way can I just get a 5 speed and bolt right in to a Camaro that was originally an auto or is there more to it thanks

Old 09-12-2014, 11:12 PM
2nd Gear member

Anything against a V8? I would skip the v6 all together and go for an Lt or LS powered car. The price difference isnt that much between an LT car and a V6 car.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:27 PM
4th Gear Member

Personally if this was me, I would go for the one that is already a five speed. Worst case is something happens to engine. No big problem. Like Gorn said, the 3800 engine is easy to find. Personally, I'd find it easier to swap and engine than to find/buy all the necessary parts to do an auto to manual swap.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

no nothing against a v8 I have had 4 Camaros in the past they just all ended up v6. I was wanting to maybe get another one and preferably a 5 speed just something cheap on gas to drive to work and back if I choose to leave the family business here at home and start doing something different probably be 75 miles one way. I don't want to always drive the big dodge cummins and start wearing it out if you know what I mean

Old 09-13-2014, 01:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

here is an outside shot of the 98 car they think has a blown head gasket not really my taste but its a 5 speed and about the best and opnly 5 speed I can find right now remember its 1500 out the door

Attached Thumbnails hello been a while and have a question-photo-2.jpg  
Old 09-13-2014, 01:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

another of the interior sorry they are upside down but they are not like that on my end so don't know why they are like that. dash is still in one piece not cracked or anything. I mean 1,500 out the door that's fees and all im thinking worst case I still might have to put a motor in it if there head gasket fix don't last I don't think it would be to bad of a gamble just want to know what others think thanks..

Attached Thumbnails hello been a while and have a question-photo-3.jpg  
Old 09-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You REALLY want the 5 speed for the 75 mile drive. Check out my 96 built thread. I bought that car for commuting. I think I was going 55 miles each way. I can beat 30 MPG in the spring/summer/fall and 27+ MPG in our PA winters.

I paid $1000 for my 96 in 2008 I think I spent $1500 to do the swap with upgrades that included a $400 clutch and stainless headers. Back in 08 anything with a 3800 and decent condition 6-7K You can find decent 3800 cars for 3-4K today. But still I have put almost 90,000 miles on the car with no major repairs since the swap.

Changing to the 5 speed (or to a V8) is not as simple as it sounds. You PCM controls your transmission you are either going to need a PCM and harness from a 5 speed car or fine someone that can tune the car and tune the transmission controls out of the PCM. If you don't you will have the check engine lite on all the time. You are also going to need to do the wiring on the neutral safety switch and reverse lights.

Swapping the motor is not a easy as it is in older cars. The motor come out of the bottom. After you do it a couple of times it is really not that hard just different then out from the hood.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank's for all the info gorn I really appreciate it man.. Probably gonna go with that red 98 5 speed and if it turns out to be good and strong maybe we will paint it something different down the road. Heck I got to go look at the 99 tomorrow I might try to get him down to around 800 on it all just to have it and that spare motor incase I need it for the 98 if it don't turn out to good...Awesome build thread there gorn I looked threw it all before I posted good job man...