Hard starting/no start unless with starting fluid

Old 10-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Default Hard starting/no start unless with starting fluid

Ok I a 1994 camaro v6 3.4l 207c
I am having trouble getting the car to start and stay running when I get it to start with the starting fluid I have to tap the pedal just to keep it going but sometimes it stalls out even when I tap the pedal..
What could cause this to happen I have changed the iac and camshaft sensor but still the same. .the Schrader valve on the fuel rail has no fuel coming out when I release the pressure could this be due to the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator
Any And All Help Is Welcome

Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep sounds like no fuel. check fuel filter first, make sure its not plugged. it does sound like a failing fuel pump.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:05 PM
4th Gear Member

Depressing the schrader valve without the proper equipment is dangerous. If it were to spray fuel and land on any hot surface, you better have a fire extinguisher nearby. Get the proper fuel tester from a local parts store. They are $40.

Check the pressure with just the key on. See what the pressure is running. And see what the pressure is running with the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator disconnected. Then report back. Good chance it is the pump. But you may get away with it just being a filter or regulator. If it is the pump, now is a good time to replace the filter too.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by craby
yep sounds like no fuel. check fuel filter first, make sure its not plugged. it does sound like a failing fuel pump.
I did change the fuel filter, I took the pump out out it on the 12v it works fine but when I turn the key to the on position I only hear the pump every once in a while

Old 10-16-2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Depressing the schrader valve without the proper equipment is dangerous. If it were to spray fuel and land on any hot surface, you better have a fire extinguisher nearby. Get the proper fuel tester from a local parts store. They are $40.

Check the pressure with just the key on. See what the pressure is running. And see what the pressure is running with the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator disconnected. Then report back. Good chance it is the pump. But you may get away with it just being a filter or regulator. If it is the pump, now is a good time to replace the filter too.
I'm not stupid I only check it while the car is not and has not been running which is what I'm trying to do is get it to stay running or even start

Old 10-16-2016, 07:19 PM

I do need a fuel pressure gauge though just have no funds at the time

Old 10-17-2016, 01:12 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2camarohappy1
I'm not stupid I only check it while the car is not and has not been running which is what I'm trying to do is get it to stay running or even start
I didn't mean for it sound like I was calling you stupid, but coming from someone who nearly learned the hard way, gasoline is one thing I do not **** around with.

Also, unless the check valve in the pump failed, there will still be pressure in the line even if the car hasn't been running, not quite as much, but enough that it will still spray out and get to areas you can not see.

Some stores may let you rent it out or try and find a buddy that has one.

At this point, I would remove the wiring from the pump and check to make sure you are getting +12v every time with the key on. If you are consistently getting power, then I would put my money on the pump being the issue. If you are not, there is an issue with wiring.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok, it may be a bad connection at the harness connection by the tank. should be on the driver side sorta up the rearend hump a bit. there is a jumper wire you can jump 12 volts to and see if it comes on and stays on. if not its either not getting power or its overheating right away and shuting down. brb

Old 10-17-2016, 09:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this is the primer wire. if you hook 12 volts to it the pump should come on.

Attached Thumbnails Hard starting/no start unless with starting fluid-fuel_pump_prime.jpg  
Old 10-25-2016, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2camarohappy1
I did change the fuel filter, I took the pump out out it on the 12v it works fine but when I turn the key to the on position I only hear the pump every once in a while
Ok I managed to get a tester nothing happened when I turned the key on nothing at all even when I crank it so im really setting in on the fuel pump..headed to get one now will keep you posted

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard starting/no start unless with starting fluid