Give your honest opinion on My Build!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
one thing to remember gorn is most of us that come hear are not pro builders ,what your, talking about takes mis fit garage to build an 5 guys on the crew

The title of the thread say honest opinion. that is what I gave no need for anyone to get mad.

Man hours wise the project I proposed will be about 30% of the hours he is talking about. The 97 has a body control module. That means just about everything in the car will need to be rewired. AC power/windows/door lock/wiper, I don't think a single gauge will work. He will have to rewire the entire car except the lights. The project I proposed is all bolt in, it just requires a lot of research, certainly not pro builders the Lq4 bone stock meets his power requirement. I guess it depends on the point of view. Is the fun from building the car and once it done the results don't matter. For me I like to improve on designs not take them back in history. Again just my opinion.

Just a FYI the shows like Gas monkey and Mis fit garage are scripted. I would not use them as real word references. Its like quoting Seinfeld episode to prove a point.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:53 PM
4th Gear Member

yes I know gorn you have helped me alot an your awesome ,just saying once a guy makes up his mind ,its hard to change ,I think he should do a lsx 5.3l,but will see what happens an try to help.i am not upset you guys,you helped me alot I know his build is even way far off mine I know the shows are scripted but they have lots of problems too I think we can agree on that,oh an misfit garage the 71 gto was a huge mistake so even they have to make huge mistakes to learn, I guess that was my point ,I agree with you for sure ,an his one off thing I like it but ?? ,though there is going to be alot more then one thing off on the car ,no speedo only gauge that will work is gas ,an wireing ,needed a good wireing guy on my car,an did not need to rewire anything accept the fuel pump,i thought he would see how that other build ended so quickly with wich heads for more power,he did not even know how much hp the motor made had he googled it he could have got a good idea in that other thread ,an he would see hes got alot of work an head aches to come the thing about the first gen 327 is it made for the first gens my google of it said 275hp an 300tlbs wich is about the same as an lt1 ,? how many miles on the engine ,when was it rebuilt ?has it ever been rebuilt ,I would not want a used engine to fail on me after install,a new one can fail to as we know breakin is very important ,there are guys that do these kinda things an love it ? is if it our first build ,I know for me if I did not have a desent mechanic helping me an wireing guy who knew what to take out ,I am sure you know looking back on my build I realy could have put an ls3 in it an got the same power if not more ,though now I have what I have an need to work it glad the engine did breakin just fine ,if he had z28 car I think it would help but ,who knows ,make sure you post everything couse any success you have people will want to know then many guys who wanted to try it but relized it would be a long an costly job ,an again good luck with it ,for me its going to be a bit harder to help couse you have v6 base car,an like said, I think the best thing would be a 3800 like said ,but he seems to be mind set on the 327 so will try to help,,he should know to that it was suggested to me not to do my build either ,we were sucessefull ,but the mechanic would not do it again ,couse he relized there was a lot more to in it then he throught as well ,an we did think we had record of 6 weeks for the swap ,50 hours he will be there alot longer I think ,but with help sounds like your family can help that's a +? ? how did you father roll the Camaro with an lt1 ,an I am guessing he is ok too

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-06-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:26 PM
4th Gear Member

hdnseek don't let the things you hear stop you like said there only opinions ,looking back at my thread I took some heat too,just get past this then start posting ,personaly I think this forum needs more action ,so like said post your build in 93 -02 projects

Old 04-07-2016, 02:15 PM

Thanks guys, i am always open to constructive criticism, and i know it the IDEAL swap as LS swaps and even the LQ9 would make more sense. Yes ill probably end up saying, why didnt i just do an LS swap but to be honest if i can get that 307 into the three hundreds it will be worth while, the sentimental value and the build alone is more for memories and experience again for her. Ill keep everyone updated, and post questions in the 93-02 Projects.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Do what ya want and have fun doing it. Yore build is typical hot rod style,use what ya got,sounds like a rat rod camaro build . Yes you might be throwing cash at it and never get any back,the world won't end.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:13 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
The title of the thread say honest opinion. that is what I gave

I no longer reply to threads looking for opinions

we see people buy a sixer claiming they don't want performance and then a few months later we see the threads asking how to get V8 performace from their sixer 4th gen

One neighborhood in which I lived there was a guy who spent over $60,000 on their swimming pool area (lot of ledge to get through) in a region in the country which has about 3 months of swim season

Of course they never got back their money when they sold and financially, the folks with the above ground pools were better off. But, if the reason you spend a lot of time and money on something is solely for yourself, then so be it. If that's the case, you don't solicit opinions.

One seeks guidance/opinions if they are honestly seeking better ways to do something from those who have experience.

As we see in most "opinion" threads here, that's not the case and thus I opt out of them.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:59 PM
4th Gear Member

good way to put it ,we can give an opinion ,but there like as holes everyone has one , I don't mind to give one ,but if a guy wants to do it ,least I can do is give some support I think so ,I don't see enough .hay good job looks good ,sounds great at this forum ,thank god this is not the real world I would have shot myself a long time agoHonestly theres a better place for those of us with so called franken cars ,its called Hotroders ,an looks like anything goes ,so it may just be a better place ,for those of us who like things modified ,check it out there are some wow builds there we think some of our builds are wild check it

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-11-2016 at 03:02 PM.